Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

W. North Carolina

I'm going up to Cashiers, NC on Oct. 16th for week. I'm hooking up with Irish for one day, but that leaves most of the rest of the week free. If anyone can play hooky I'll meet up with you. I'd like to get over to GSMNP for a day, if you're interested let me know.

Wheres that at and where ya fishing Paul...as you know i can play hooky from... rolleyes.gif well LOL

that anywhere near the davidson? have rod will Fly!

I'm about a 30 min. drive from the Davidson. The French Broad River is just down the road and Smokey Mountain Park about an hour away. I have to do the Biltmore Estate with the wife one day, but that leaves the rest of the week free.

Come on down.

I might could meet yall in the SM Park and fish for a day or two. I have to see my schedule for work, but I could pencil it in. I'd love to meet you guys and fish a hole or three!! That sounds like a fine time to me! I love to fish the park when the crowds are gone.....maybe the French Bread tongue.gif would be good too.....Let's talk..

I'm gonna see what i can do to get down there i have a friend thats kind'a close in lenor i think so i may be able to get down and stay for free....we'll see.

SD

A friend from Michigan is coming down the same week. We'll be trout fishing early in the week and false albie fishing at Harkers Island later in the week.

I'd like to get together with y'all. Dave is a good man and excellant deer hair tyer... as long as the supply of Fosters is limited! Pick his brain on any casting questions you might have. I've yet to meet a finer casting instructor.

Dave is big on spinning belly hair. It's kinda gross actually! ohmy.gif

user posted image

I spent a very pleasant and entertaining day with Irish the last time I was there. I could have done without that picture, that's a little more than I ever want to see of Dave. cool.gif

Who are you fishing with for False Albecore?!

My former guide partner guides down there. I used to guide with him. He's a long time freind, mentor, bass tournament and guide partner. He's usally fishing from Oriental, NC guiding for Tarpon, giant Red Drum, and mixed bags of inshore fish, all of this done in the great Pamlico Sound. Then after the Tarpon leave and the Drum taper off, he heads to Harker's to guide till about Thanksgiving, then goes to Costa Rica to guide for salis, tarpon, dorado, roosterfish, and other tropical species. He then returns for the shad and striper runs up the Roanoke river in Weldon/Roanoke Rapids and guides for them and then it's back to Oriental to get ready for the Tarpon that come in about June. He fishes for striper all year and takes fall duck hunts as well. When it comes to the carolina coast, he's the very best. His name is Capt. George beckwith with Down East Guide Service, www.pamlicoguide.com

He fishes from a 25' Parker with a 250 yamaha and a green/tan duck hunting edition of the 19' Carolina Skiff with a 90 Yamaha. He uses only the best equipment like Fin Nor reels, Cape Fear rods, and Yamaha. He caters to fly fishers, baitfishers, lures, and light tackle. He persues record fish, going after 60lb Red Drum with 8 and 10lb spinning gear! Some of my biggest fish have been caught when fishing with him when we weren't guiding or fishing a tournament. I landed a 126lb Tarpon, a 56lb Red Drum, and an 8lb Speck. I cayght my biggest largemouth out of a pond at hios dad's house that is chock full of big fish. That bass weighed 13lbs 5oz! I've also landed an 11lber and numerous largemouth over 7lbs with stripers, crappie, and huge bluegills. We put the stripers in and sometimes we'd come home at dusk and put a bucket of 2" menhaden in the water and they'd take off fast across the surface and the fish would explode on the surface all over the lake until every menhaden was gone. We'd impress the ladies with "fishermen's fireworks"!! They got a kick out of it!!

I'm no stranger to Fat Alberts either. Ihad one break my 6wt into 3 pieces, a 2 piece rod became an instant travel rod. Too bad it didn't break at the connection. I thought I'd light tackle it. Nope. No way were those torpedos woth rocket boosters holding up to lighter tackle. Then reluctantly picked up a 10 wt and caught the fish that broke my rod and the lone. I recovered all of the line he took, awesome considering it broke at the backing!! I had a clear intermediate line, not too cheap. That was one of my better catches!!

I like to hit the albecore before Thanksgiving, but I may have to wait till nextr year for that. I'll see.

Hopefully we can meet up at the Park and fish for some natives. That would be nice. I wonder how many we can get to go??

Sounds like fun to me.

Boy,

I run off to mountain Home Arkansas with my lovely spouse and someone lets Peddeler out on the loose. Thanks for the compliments and I WILL get even for your theft of the picture. mad.gif mad.gif

You will not be able to procure enough Fosters for the new hair bugs I have biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

I'm looking forward to the fish troutbum. Perhaps we can get Peddler to run the river with us. I know a nice drop that he needs to see from the bottom. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

also drowe 694 mile to Mountain home and Caught a 16 iinch smallie and caught more fish than Mrs. Irish (on the left in stolen art above, i know who had too much stomp that evening, and i wiiiillll get even!!!) She cleaned up on the raffles and I had to purchace a 4 wt Ross Reel at auction, for her new rod.

Irish

travbass2, we’ll be going with Sarah Gardner this year. Last year we used ‘Spot’ John Killen and the year before Robert Edwards.

I’m pretty fired up about going with Ms. Gardner. She’s Lefty’s casting buddy and is on his new video. I hear tell she is one heck of a tuny getter and a very good casting instructor. It don't hurt either that she runs a big Jones Brothers!

Drop me a P.M. with your buddies name and number. If I can free up some funds and the shore fishing stinks we might be able to handle another guide trip.

Ain’t albie’s grand?

Mr. Duffy, Those shots I took at the Smallie Show are forever ingrained on CD and hard drive. One false move out of you and I’ll have to post ‘em to your pals at the FFF! If that don’t sink your credibility I don’t know what will!

Are you guys ‘tooning when he gets here? I’m all over that if you are.

What did you learn from that deer hair guy at the conclave? He had to be good if Chris was taking notes!

‘til then,

Jack

Dave,

I see your trip was productive and expensive! How about we hook up on Monday the 18th or Friday the 22nd, that way you get a 3 day weekend out of the deal.

I'm flexable that week the only thing the wife wants to do is see the Biltmore House. I think we'll be going there on Wednesday so I have a lot of time to go out and terrorize some Brookies. devil.gif

Paul,

either will work. I'll look at weather and weekend and get back.

Jack,

In order for one to use things, one needs to know the audience. Being a memberof the Atlantic Salmon Brim Fly Society, I am believable in all things fishing related and my buddies at FFF know this. Something about a hitch haul bungie cords and a couple of 30 packs of Miller Lite.

You will see what was learned soon. It was worth the lessons and that is why Chris was taking notes. I got to watch and talk with Billy Munn in Mountain Home a pleasure and another good lesson.

It will be a river run. I'm thinking that it is time to use the big beast. I will check the Broad and some others. Rain date go with Paul and terrorize brookies.

Sarah Gardner is a great one. She was at the SE Council Conclave sometime a go and I had the pleasure of meeting her and attending some seminars of east carolina fishing. You will enjoy Sarah.

Irish

Sign in to follow this