Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TOM PRUETT

NEED A GOOD FLOAT REEL

Sweet looking float reel! I like the rotating feature. That should make learning to cast one fairly easy. I learned on the kind with a fixed axis. It took a couple days to get the hang of it, but once you learn it is quite intuitive. Float reels work great for steelhead fishing.

I've heard of alot of things in fly fishing- but what is float reel? Never heard of it before.

I was curious over the same thing ;)

Float fishing is not fly fishing although you can use a nymph or subsurface fly as the bait. Float fishing is more used for bait or eggs. As was already stated very effective for steelhead on larger open waters. Not very friendly in heavily pressured waters because of the way it is done. Tends to create ill feelings if not done with consideration to others fishing the same waters with more conventional methods.

Float fishing is not fly fishing although you can use a nymph or subsurface fly as the bait. Float fishing is more used for bait or eggs. As was already stated very effective for steelhead on larger open waters. Not very friendly in heavily pressured waters because of the way it is done. Tends to create ill feelings if not done with consideration to others fishing the same waters with more conventional methods.

Try spey casting on heavily pressured waters :bugeyes:

Tom the float guys do better on the Saugeen then the fly and spey guys. Enjoy man

Tom the float guys do better on the Saugeen then the fly and spey guys. Enjoy man

The Saugeen brings BACK REALY BAD NIGHTMARES :rolleyes: Thats where we did are RESCUE course for diving !!!

Saugeen IS BAD LOL BAD DIRTY WATER!!!

Just curious, what makes that type of reel more advantageous than a decent spinning reel? ($300!!! :bugeyes: )

no drag, it basically freespools so your float drifts at the same speed of the current or water flow. Its is easier to get a drag free drift.

The Saugeen brings BACK REALY BAD NIGHTMARES :rolleyes: Thats where we did are RESCUE course for diving !!!

Where you up by the dam? We fish in a well known area about half way between the dam and the mouth.

Where you up by the dam? We fish in a well known area about half way between the dam and the mouth.

IAM not sure !! The water was piss yellow it was realy bad And we had to find bodys in that!! not good

I'll go up that way for the fall steelhead run, I'll give you a shout and you can bring the fancy reel and rod with you.

I've heard of alot of things in fly fishing- but what is float reel? Never heard of it before.

Google centerpin fishing. Or you can visit

http://www.floatfishingconnection.com/

I'm not affiliated, but Infinity Rod Creations often posts rods on the rod builders forum.

I haven't done any of this yet, but I have a 11.5 ft spey rod blank that I am building as a combo float rod/spey rod.

Carl