Fly Tying
TPugliese

A few of my first dry flies

I finally got around to photographing some of my first dry flies last night. I founds out this past Saturday that they do catch fish too. I caught my first trout on a dry fly, landed five, 9-10” on the Light Cahill (not the one in the picture ‘cause boy they trashed it) and two more on an Adams. The fish weren’t big but it was cool getting them on top.

BTW, these patterns are from “Tying Dry Flies” by Randall Kaufmann. A great book if you are just starting out IMHO. Beside the step-by-step tying instructions there is some great info on materials and how to use them.

post-23606-1273593171_thumb.jpg

post-23606-1273593186_thumb.jpg

post-23606-1273593203_thumb.jpg

post-23606-1273593222_thumb.jpg

post-23606-1273593229_thumb.jpg

post-23606-1273593235_thumb.jpg

post-23606-1273593249_thumb.jpg

post-23606-1273593260_thumb.jpg

I wish my first drys looked like that!!!! :bugeyes:

the only problem is the uneven rib on the last one. Other than that they look awesome!

Thanks Speiser & Flytyer

I’m going to work on getting some individual fly photo’s out of my Nymph box tonight so I can post them as well. I started with them and there are some definite uglies in there.

Big heads crowding the eye, crazy ribbing, cut off tails, etc. This is the only pic I have of them right now.

post-23606-1273613537_thumb.jpg

Very nice! Those are a ton better than my first dry flies.

Keep it up, you will be one heckeva tyer with some experience!

Impressive :headbang:

I haven't tried any dries yet. But, if I can get mine to look like yours, I'll be happy!

Catch any fish on 'em yet?

Those are a great lot of flies for your firsts! Just think, all you have to go is up and they'll look perfect. The only comments I have to add is the hackle on the first one is a tad too long and the tail on the Adams is a bit too even.. maybe? Maybe I'm just seeing things.

Very nice! Those are a ton better than my first dry flies.

Keep it up, you will be one heckeva tyer with some experience!

Ditto....those will certainly fish, TP.

Impressive :headbang:

I haven't tried any dries yet. But, if I can get mine to look like yours, I'll be happy!

Catch any fish on 'em yet?

Thank you. I've only had the opportunity to try two of them so far, the Light Cahill & the Adams and both caught fish.

The only comments I have to add is the hackle on the first one is a tad too long and the tail on the Adams is a bit too even.. maybe? Maybe I'm just seeing things.

I agree with you on the hackle length on the Light Cahill. Hackle length is one area I'm working on. Mainly finding quality hackle that is small enough. I did find a cream sadle that I will use on these next time around and see how it compares. I'll need to look at the Adams pattern again to understand the the issue with the tail. Thank you for the observations, hearing what others see will help in the learning process.