Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
DevinKaradeema

18 and smaller hackle??

I'm looking to tie up some 16 down to 22 dries, what would the best hackle for smaller flies. Price is no issue. but colors i would need white, olive, maybe black and blues.

any suggestions???? i have some that will tie to 14s but i need smaller.

You want to check out Whiting's Midge Saddles. They are expensive. But you can buy halves. And they tye #18 and smaller.

I found this little gem on ebay. I am also looking for the same type of hackle since everything i tie is size 16 and under. I'm not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for, but I think it would work for me. I have no idea what the normal price of these are, i think i am going to kick myself for sharing this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fly-Tying-Whiting-Farm...=item45f27da7e6

Every bronze grade Whiting rooster cape has plenty of 18 and smaller hackles, plus all the other sizes. If you're not going to tie a thousands of midges, you might be better off buying capes, not saddles.

Whiting saddle hackles cannot be beat for small dry fly hackle, heavy barb count, no twist, great color, thin rachis, durability etc...

You can also take a look at the Whiting 100 packs of saddle feathers. If you don't want a whole or half cape.

Every bronze grade Whiting rooster cape has plenty of 18 and smaller hackles, plus all the other sizes. If you're not going to tie a thousands of midges, you might be better off buying capes, not saddles./quote]

thats just it, i do plan to tie thousands of them lol so i will just go for the full.... pay the price now share the results later.

And don't worry lionus i wont take your find, still a kid at heart "finders keepers" :) thanks i may look through ebay

I found this little gem on ebay. I am also looking for the same type of hackle since everything i tie is size 16 and under. I'm not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for, but I think it would work for me. I have no idea what the normal price of these are, i think i am going to kick myself for sharing this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fly-Tying-Whiting-Farm...=item45f27da7e6

Ooooh awhhhh!

thats just it, i do plan to tie thousands of them lol so i will just go for the full.... pay the price now share the results later.

then you will be much better served with the saddles, and even though they seem expensive up front, you will tie so many flies from one saddle that the cost per fly is less than any other option.

I have a question about Whiting's grading system. Does pro come below bronze and silver? How much of a drop off in number of flies should i expect? A significant number? I am thinking about getting the best cape possible for grizzly since it is so widely used and I know I will be tying with it like crazy. Any suggestions?

Hi Lionus- I have a couple of each pro grade and bronze. From what I can see, the pro grade doesn't seem to have nearly as many TINY feathers size 22 and smaller. It also may have a few more bigger size hackles at the saddle-end of the cape. Other than that, IMO there is not much difference- the Bronze grade probably has a few more feathers overall, and they are a little bit longer than on the pro-grade. You're right around the corner from me (I'm in New Cumberland) so if you would like to compare the two, give me a shout. I don't know of anywhere local that sells pro-grade capes, but I don't know every place either.

Either way, you can not go wrong with a bronze-grade Whiting cape in grizzly.

The Whiting Grading system is as follows. Pro Grade, Bronze, Silver, Gold, ect. The Whiting Midge Saddles, are the way to go, they will have consistent sizes in the 18-22 range. Some colors are hard to find, but, it's best to call and see what is available. Any specific questions, feel free to shoot me a PM.

Don't forget to look at the whiting "Hebert"/green label range as well, super quality hackles at a very acceptable price structure. Just specify the sizes of fly you're going to tie to the retailer & you shouldn't go far wrong.