Fly Tying
NJ All Day

Organizing The Desk?

Hey everyone,

I'm cleaning up my room, and painting it along with my father, and the deal was after i cleaned it and then we painted it. I would be able to set it up what ever way i wanted. The only problem is putting all the materials together. And then labeling them. I'm gonna buy a bunch of those white cart things with the three drawers, and then smaller ones for my thread. And smaller things like that

But with the bigger ones i dont know how to label them... Should i keep one drawer or one cart for natural hairs. And then have another cart for synthetics. I dont know how many of the bigs ones i should get and how many smaller ones i should get. If any one can help me out organize my stuff would be a great help. Maybe some ideas on how you organize your stuff.

Oh yeah the desk is gonna be left over counter top. In the shape of a "L" right in the corner of my room, if that helps out at all.

NJ, you ain't old enough to have to worry about labeling!

Sounds like a good plan. I have both the drawer things you're talking about and the clear boxes commonly made by Rubbermaid. I have the boxes on shelves stacked about two or three high, they have a recessed lid so they stack really nicely. I like those containers cause I can pull one down and set it in my lap and dig through it. Many of the drawer things have little protrusions making it difficult to pull the individual drawer out, which I often do in order to find something. I think the smaller drawer units do not have the tabs and the drawers conveniently come out.

Actually its kind of funny how I've organized things over the years. I started out labeling all my boxes and stuff but wound up re-organizing as I collected more and more materials and found myself moving to larger containers and re-using boxes for other materials and the labeling had to be removed and re-labeled.

Oddly enough, now, I don't even label; its amazing how a man can know where his stuff is in a disorganized garage. Having his stuff in unlabeled organized containers is a piece of cake.

Post some pics when you get set up.

Kirk

I've just clean out some old materials that I haven't been using and reorganize my tying area. The categories I use now are as follows:

1) Dry fly hackle.

2) Feather (such as soft hackle, CDC, turkey quill, etc).

3) Fur (you'll need to divide this one out if you have lots of them.)

4) Dubbing.

5) Synthetic.

Hope that helps.

I've just clean out some old materials that I haven't been using and reorganize my tying area. The categories I use now are as follows:

1) Dry fly hackle.

2) Feather (such as soft hackle, CDC, turkey quill, etc).

3) Fur (you'll need to divide this one out if you have lots of them.)

4) Dubbing.

5) Synthetic.

Hope that helps.

i don't label a lot.

but- i keep like materials together and seperate from unlike materials- w/ drawers/containers -

much like redquill for example.

Kind of the same lines as the others. All my fur is in one rubbermaid shoe box, long or large feathers, capes in another. Smaller bags like marabou and such are in 3x5 index card boxes, bagged dubbing in another, extra tools in another. I have two flat clear compartment boxes for treads, wire, tinsels, and flash materials.

Nothing labelled, I just know where everything is.

Okay everyone thanks for the help. I figured it all out now. I just got done cleaning the room. Painting it on Saturday and hopefully doing the desk setup on Sunday or next weekend.

But im gonna organize it by getting.

2 of the larger containers, one for naturals and one for synthetics.

1 Small one for threads, 1 small for hooks, and 1 small for packs of dubbing and packs of rubber legs, and chenille.

I'll try to post pictures when i get it all set up.

Oh, hooks! I went to the craft store and got stackable screw together bead boxes. Cheep and they worked out great.

Cheri, I've used different small box/jar organizers found in the bead craft section of craft stores but I learned years ago to cut the label off the hook pack or if its a hard plastic hook box to make my own label with a index card and cut it to fit inside the small organizer so I don't forget what hook I have in there.

I used to write on the little boxes but that often wears off or I change organizers and wound up not being able to use the written on boxes for something else.

Kirk

I've used different small box/jar organizers found in the bead craft section of craft stores but I learned years ago to cut the label off the hook pack or if its a hard plastic hook box to make my own label with a index card and cut it to fit inside the small organizer so I don't forget what hook I have in there.

+1

This is a handy tip. I do the same with my beads. I don't get to the bench often enough to remember where/what everything is (maybe I'm getting old) so this comes in handy.

NJ, Different sized drawers are nice for organizing. I made a nice tying station with 9 drawers and it's sitting on a desk with 7 more. Now I'm only about 137 drawers short. hehehe

-D

try this. these groups are examples figure out your own basic groups and go from there.

lay all your materials out. do very basic groups like. natural materials, synthetic materials, dyed materials, then if the piles for each are to big to put in the drawers make each pile into 2 piles. naturals to- light naturals, dark naturals...... synthetic to rubber and plastic....... dyed to warm color dyes and cool color dyes. then figure if they fit into the drawers. if not make each group into to. so you start out with 3 groups. go to 6 groups. go to 12 groups. until you can fit them into your containers.

once again i don't like the groups i listed above but it is just an example i dont know what materials you have so it is up to you to figure out how you will organize them. everyone has different materials so most peoples organization is different.

I do the same Kirk. Cut the hook description from the package and put it in the the hooks.