Fly Tying
neoFLYte

CyanoAcrylate Glues

I use it all the time in my other hobby, rocketry. Its good for hardening and sealing balsa, as well as normal gluing jobs. My favorite brand is probably Gorilla Super Glue. It doesn't seem to get as brittle as the 10 cents a tube stuff.

In woodworking, my uncle will actually lick the glue itself before sticking the pieces together. Said it feels just a little funny for a little bit - tongue won't bend and flex quite like normal. I'll take his word on it.......

Hope that helps your projects.

Deeky

Dude!!! :blink: :blink: :blink:

In woodworking, my uncle will actually lick the glue itself before sticking the pieces together. Said it feels just a little funny for a little bit - tongue won't bend and flex quite like normal. I'll take his word on it.......

Deeky

Cyano... as in cyanide! :bugeyes:

He's ex-millitary, ex-highway patrol, does electrical work with hot wires.......

Probably all tied together.

Deeky

Hey man its used in surgery all the time especially ocular. One of the worst locations to let bad stuff come in contact with.

Deeky

Hey man its used in surgery all the time especially ocular. One of the worst locations to let bad stuff come in contact with.

Sure. But how often do you have eye surgery? The implication was that the stuff was being regularly licked over a long time frame.

An occasional X-Ray at today's exposures isn't likely to cause harm either. But some of the first researchers into the technology lost body parts and some their lives in the process.

Here's an interesting bit for you - CA reacts very negatively with cotton. It will release a poisonous fume and is a highly exothermic reaction (too much CA and the cotton will spontaneously combust).

In short - don't drop the bottle of CA in your lap!!!

Deeky

Here's an interesting bit for you - CA reacts very negatively with cotton. It will release a poisonous fume and is a highly exothermic reaction (too much CA and the cotton will spontaneously combust).

In short - don't drop the bottle of CA in your lap!!!

Deeky

Just tried that with a cotton ball.... guys dont try that at home! that gets wicked hot and stinks like hell...... i wonder were have i heard that before?

Deeky

Sure. But how often do you have eye surgery? The implication was that the stuff was being regularly licked over a long time frame.

An occasional X-Ray at today's exposures isn't likely to cause harm either. But some of the first researchers into the technology lost body parts and some their lives in the process.

No disrespect Stippled but the stuff is used all the time by folks for all kinds of things. It is absorbed through your fingers same as your tongue and I bet there are a bunch of folks on here that have some attached to a finger somewhere. I don't think the cyanide portion of the material is a problem its the bonding properties that cause issues. My opinion.

Here is the MSDS for it

IDENTITY: CYANOACRYLATE ADHESIVE / SUPER GLUE 1415

I. MANUFACTURER: SUR-LOK CORPORATION

WALWORTH, WISCONSIN, USA 53147

EMERGENCY TELEPHONE: 1-888-784-7711

DATE PREPARED: JANUARY 01, 2010

II. HAZARDOUS COMPONENTS: NONE

ALL COMPONENTS OF THIS PRODUCT ARE LISTED ON THE TOXIC SUBSTANCE CONTROL ACT (TSCA) INVENTORY OF CHEMICAL SUBSTANCES MAINTAINED BY THE U.S. ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AGENCY.

III. PHYSICAL / CHEMICAL CHARACTERISTICS:

Boiling Point: >278° F Specific Gravity: 1.10

Vapor Pressure (mm Hg) <1 @ 30 ° F Melting Point:` N/A

Vapor Density (Air= 1) 4.3 Evaporation Rate: N/A

Solubility in Water: Polymerized by water. Appearance /Odor: Transparent liquid with ester-like odor.

IV. FIRE AND EXPLOSION HAZARD DATA:

Flash Point (Method Used): T.C.C. 176° F. Flammable Limits: N/A

Extinguishing Media: CO2, Foam, Dry Chemicals

Special Fire Fighting Procedures: Fire can produce dense smoke containing hazardous products of combustion (see Section V), which may be a hazard to health. Self contained breathing apparatus and procedures for fighting chemical fires should be employed.

V. REACTIVITY DATA:

Unstable. Avoid high temperatures. high humidity, and materials such as water, alcohols, amines and alkalics which may cause polymerization which may be exothermic.

VI. HEALTH HAZARD DATA:

Possible routes of entry include skin and ingestion.

This product is not included on any list for carcinogenicity.

WARNING: Eye irritant. Bonds skin in seconds. Contains cyanoacrylate ester. This adhesive gives a virtually immediate, strong bond: apply only to surfaces to be bonded. Do not get adhesive on your skin or other parts of your body, or that of others. In case of body contact, flush with water. Seek medical attention for any eye or internal contact.

LIQUID EFFECTS:

EYE CONTACT: Cyanoacrylate adhesives are eye irritants and tissue bonders. Therefore, care, including the use of goggles, should be taken to prevent eye contact. In the event of eye contact, the eyes should be copiously flushed with water and medical aid sought immediately. If eyelids are bonded closed, only a qualified physician should attempt to separate them. In case of bonding corneal surface, forced separation is not recommended. Allow the eye to remain closed and the bond to separate naturally, which generally will occur within a few days.

SKIN CONTACT: Cyanoacrylate adhesives, while relatively non-toxic, are mild irritants to the skin. The Acute Dermal LD50 is >2000 mg/kg. However, strong bonds will quickly form between adjacent skin surfaces, e.g. fingers. These may be separated relatively easily by soaking the bonded area in warm, soapy water for several minutes and then gently peeling the bond. Alternatively, a dull instrument such as a thin wire or a table knife can be forced through the bond. With appropriate caution, solvents such as acetone or nail polish remover can be used effectively.

When skin contact is over a large area, the area should be flushed with large amounts of water. A soaking wet cloth can be used to wipe off excess adhesive. If the adhesive has soaked through clothing, flush the involved area with water. If the cloth has bonded to the skin, the removal of the bonded clothing without these precautions might result in skin damage. Cured adhesive will flake from the skin within a day or so or can be removed by treatment or by soaking with hot, soapy water.

ORAL CONTACT: Cyanoacrylates are relatively non-toxic materials (Acute Oral LD50 >5000 mg/kg.). However, rapid polymerization (hardening) of the adhesive will take place in contact with the surfaces of the mouth. The mouth should be flushed copiously with water and medical aid should be sought immediately. Lips, if bonded, can be gently peeled apart, preferably with the aid of hot water or solvent.

VAPOR EFFECTS:

EYES: Alkyl cyanoacrylate vapors are lachrymatory (tear producing) and can cause eye irritation and tearing in poorly ventilated areas.

MUCOUS MEMBRANES: Mucous surfaces can become irritated by prolonged exposure to cyanoacrylate vapors in poorly ventilated areas. Vapor irritation to the eyes and mucous membranes will be most noticeable under conditions of low relative humidity.

VAPOR CONTROL RECOMMENDATIONS:

* Use adequate ventilation. Remove adhesive vapors with suitable exhaust ducting. Since cyanoacrylate vapors are heavier than air, place exhaust intake below work area. Activated charcoal filters using an acidic charcoal have been found effective in removing vapors from effluent air.

* Avoid use of excess adhesive. Excess adhesive outside of bond area will increase level of vapors.

* Assemble parts as quickly as possible. Long open times will increase level of vapors.

VII. PRECAUTIONS FOR SAFE HANDLING AND USE:

Health hazard rating is 2, Slightly hazardous. Fire hazard is 2, Flash point above 100 ° F not exceeding 200. Reactivity rating is 1, Unstable if heated.

Provide adequate ventilation in area of usage. When possible this should be achieved by the use of local exhaust ventilation and good general ventilation. Vapors are heavier than air, therefore, downward ventilation should be used. When handling cyanoacrylate adhesives, goggles or safety glasses should always be worn. Polyethylene gloves should be used to protect the hands. CAUTION: Do not use rubber or cloth gloves. Rubber gloves will bond when brought in contact with the adhesive and porous cotton gloves will absorb the adhesive and bond the gloves to the skin.

Store in original container below 40° F for prolonged shelf life.

In the event of small spills, material may be wiped up with a soaking wet cloth and the area cleaned with solvent. When large quantities of cyanoacrylate adhesive are accidentally spilled, the area should be flooded with water which will cause the liquid cyanoacrylate to cure. The cured material can then be scraped from the surface. It may then be incinerated observing all State, Federal and local anti-pollution and waste disposal regulations.

VIII. CONTROL MEASURES:

Transport: This product is not regulated for shipping purposes.

Other: Respiratory protection is not normally necessary unless product is used in enclosed area of poor ventilation or individual has a history of chronic respiratory disease. Local exhaust is recommended. Protective gloves are recommended during use (See section VII above). Always wash hands thoroughly after use.

The information on this data sheet represents our current data and best opinion as to the proper use in handling of this product under normal conditions. Any use of the product which is not in conformance with this data sheet or which involves using the product in combination with any other product or any other process is the responsibility of the user.

gpd4:

The truth of the matter is that Ca was "discovered/invented" by two chemists at Dupont in 1942 while trying to develop a very clear plastic for gun sights. It's medical use followed several earlier uses as an adhesive. It's use for medical purposes apparently began during the Viet Nam war, and it was not officially approved for this application until 1998. I have been told, by individuals who worked at Convair in Ft. Worth,Texas, that it was used to glue the 'skin' onto the B-58 "Hustler" bomber, which was built at that facility. Supposedly, it was used because at the projected air-speed this plane could fly, the heat of friction associated with airflow would cause rivets to melt and fall out. If this claimed usage is correct, this plane's construction was discontinued just before 1960, and definitely predates the Viet Nam War.

Perchjerker

I use super glue instead of head cement after the whip finish. I also use it to coat the zebra midges I tie. The brand I like is Loc-Tite with the easy apply brush. I've used it for years and never have had a problem. It does seem to be less readily available than it was. If anyone else decides to use it .. the real reason I wanted to make this post .. go to Ace Hardware. If there's one in your area that doesn't carry the Loc-Tite you can get a package of 6 sent to that store from another store for less than $20. Plus if they ship it store to store there's no handling charges. If anyone needs an address for the main company, send me an IM or I can post it here.

Mike

Deeky

No disrespect Stippled but the stuff is used all the time by folks for all kinds of things. It is absorbed through your fingers same as your tongue and I bet there are a bunch of folks on here that have some attached to a finger somewhere. I don't think the cyanide portion of the material is a problem its the bonding properties that cause issues. My opinion.

Here is the MSDS for it

IDENTITY: CYANOACRYLATE ADHESIVE / SUPER GLUE 1415

I. MANUFACTURER: SUR-LOK CORPORATION

WALWORTH, WISCONSIN, USA 53147

EMERGENCY TELEPHONE: 1-888-784-7711

DATE PREPARED: JANUARY 01, 2010

II. HAZARDOUS COMPONENTS: NONE

ALL COMPONENTS OF THIS PRODUCT ARE LISTED ON THE TOXIC SUBSTANCE CONTROL ACT (TSCA) INVENTORY OF CHEMICAL SUBSTANCES MAINTAINED BY THE U.S. ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AGENCY.

III. PHYSICAL / CHEMICAL CHARACTERISTICS:

Boiling Point: >278° F Specific Gravity: 1.10

Vapor Pressure (mm Hg) <1 @ 30 ° F Melting Point:` N/A

Vapor Density (Air= 1) 4.3 Evaporation Rate: N/A

Solubility in Water: Polymerized by water. Appearance /Odor: Transparent liquid with ester-like odor.

IV. FIRE AND EXPLOSION HAZARD DATA:

Flash Point (Method Used): T.C.C. 176° F. Flammable Limits: N/A

Extinguishing Media: CO2, Foam, Dry Chemicals

Special Fire Fighting Procedures: Fire can produce dense smoke containing hazardous products of combustion (see Section V), which may be a hazard to health. Self contained breathing apparatus and procedures for fighting chemical fires should be employed.

V. REACTIVITY DATA:

Unstable. Avoid high temperatures. high humidity, and materials such as water, alcohols, amines and alkalics which may cause polymerization which may be exothermic.

VI. HEALTH HAZARD DATA:

Possible routes of entry include skin and ingestion.

This product is not included on any list for carcinogenicity.

WARNING: Eye irritant. Bonds skin in seconds. Contains cyanoacrylate ester. This adhesive gives a virtually immediate, strong bond: apply only to surfaces to be bonded. Do not get adhesive on your skin or other parts of your body, or that of others. In case of body contact, flush with water. Seek medical attention for any eye or internal contact.

LIQUID EFFECTS:

EYE CONTACT: Cyanoacrylate adhesives are eye irritants and tissue bonders. Therefore, care, including the use of goggles, should be taken to prevent eye contact. In the event of eye contact, the eyes should be copiously flushed with water and medical aid sought immediately. If eyelids are bonded closed, only a qualified physician should attempt to separate them. In case of bonding corneal surface, forced separation is not recommended. Allow the eye to remain closed and the bond to separate naturally, which generally will occur within a few days.

SKIN CONTACT: Cyanoacrylate adhesives, while relatively non-toxic, are mild irritants to the skin. The Acute Dermal LD50 is >2000 mg/kg. However, strong bonds will quickly form between adjacent skin surfaces, e.g. fingers. These may be separated relatively easily by soaking the bonded area in warm, soapy water for several minutes and then gently peeling the bond. Alternatively, a dull instrument such as a thin wire or a table knife can be forced through the bond. With appropriate caution, solvents such as acetone or nail polish remover can be used effectively.

When skin contact is over a large area, the area should be flushed with large amounts of water. A soaking wet cloth can be used to wipe off excess adhesive. If the adhesive has soaked through clothing, flush the involved area with water. If the cloth has bonded to the skin, the removal of the bonded clothing without these precautions might result in skin damage. Cured adhesive will flake from the skin within a day or so or can be removed by treatment or by soaking with hot, soapy water.

ORAL CONTACT: Cyanoacrylates are relatively non-toxic materials (Acute Oral LD50 >5000 mg/kg.). However, rapid polymerization (hardening) of the adhesive will take place in contact with the surfaces of the mouth. The mouth should be flushed copiously with water and medical aid should be sought immediately. Lips, if bonded, can be gently peeled apart, preferably with the aid of hot water or solvent.

VAPOR EFFECTS:

EYES: Alkyl cyanoacrylate vapors are lachrymatory (tear producing) and can cause eye irritation and tearing in poorly ventilated areas.

MUCOUS MEMBRANES: Mucous surfaces can become irritated by prolonged exposure to cyanoacrylate vapors in poorly ventilated areas. Vapor irritation to the eyes and mucous membranes will be most noticeable under conditions of low relative humidity.

VAPOR CONTROL RECOMMENDATIONS:

* Use adequate ventilation. Remove adhesive vapors with suitable exhaust ducting. Since cyanoacrylate vapors are heavier than air, place exhaust intake below work area. Activated charcoal filters using an acidic charcoal have been found effective in removing vapors from effluent air.

* Avoid use of excess adhesive. Excess adhesive outside of bond area will increase level of vapors.

* Assemble parts as quickly as possible. Long open times will increase level of vapors.

VII. PRECAUTIONS FOR SAFE HANDLING AND USE:

Health hazard rating is 2, Slightly hazardous. Fire hazard is 2, Flash point above 100 ° F not exceeding 200. Reactivity rating is 1, Unstable if heated.

Provide adequate ventilation in area of usage. When possible this should be achieved by the use of local exhaust ventilation and good general ventilation. Vapors are heavier than air, therefore, downward ventilation should be used. When handling cyanoacrylate adhesives, goggles or safety glasses should always be worn. Polyethylene gloves should be used to protect the hands. CAUTION: Do not use rubber or cloth gloves. Rubber gloves will bond when brought in contact with the adhesive and porous cotton gloves will absorb the adhesive and bond the gloves to the skin.

Store in original container below 40° F for prolonged shelf life.

In the event of small spills, material may be wiped up with a soaking wet cloth and the area cleaned with solvent. When large quantities of cyanoacrylate adhesive are accidentally spilled, the area should be flooded with water which will cause the liquid cyanoacrylate to cure. The cured material can then be scraped from the surface. It may then be incinerated observing all State, Federal and local anti-pollution and waste disposal regulations.

VIII. CONTROL MEASURES:

Transport: This product is not regulated for shipping purposes.

Other: Respiratory protection is not normally necessary unless product is used in enclosed area of poor ventilation or individual has a history of chronic respiratory disease. Local exhaust is recommended. Protective gloves are recommended during use (See section VII above). Always wash hands thoroughly after use.

The information on this data sheet represents our current data and best opinion as to the proper use in handling of this product under normal conditions. Any use of the product which is not in conformance with this data sheet or which involves using the product in combination with any other product or any other process is the responsibility of the user.

You seem to me to be saying that the stuff can be safely used. I use it myself and don't disagree with your point. My point is that if improperly used over a long enough period of time, problems may be the result. These are two sides of the same coin IMHO.

You seem to me to be saying that the stuff can be safely used. I use it myself and don't disagree with your point. My point is that if improperly used over a long enough period of time, problems may be the result. These are two sides of the same coin IMHO.

This is true of many of the things we use to tie our flies with. Many of the things we paint and glue and coat our flies with if used improperly will eventually cause some kind of damage. Common sense should be a factor in the matter but frequently it isn't.