Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Firetiger

CDC Hackle Caddis - in 10 easy steps

Step 1: Hook & Thread selection

Use your favorite dry fly hook in appropriate size and your favorite thread of a drab color. I am using Hanák 130BL hook in size 12 and UNI 8/0 thread color tan.

cdccaddissbs1.jpg

Step 2: Tag and Ribbing

Add a tag of your favorite color - I am using hot Green UNI neon thread; red, orange or claret tags are also to be considered. For ribbing I am using UNI #16 tinsel. It has one side gold, other silver and it is tied with the silver side upwards, so that the golden will show once it is wrapped around.

cdccaddissbs2.jpg

Step 3: The body

Create a body of lightly dubbed (i.e. scruffy) dubbing of Hare; wrap the tinsel (rotary vice helps).

cdccaddissbs4.jpg

Step 4: The wing

Add a wing made of 3 CDC feathers of medium size. The tips should be just a tad longer than the butt of the fly. Clip the butts and secure the thorax area.

cdccaddissbs5.jpg

Step 5: Prepare CDC feathers for hackling

Select 2 largish CDC feathers and a tool for folding them over. This can be done using many different tools of varying price and complexity; I am using a very simple block of Styrofoam with a couple slits (Mr. Petijean has much nicer tool for this but I found his price a little steep for my pocket, given it yields the same result)

cdccaddissbs6.jpg

Step 6: Fold the CDC feathers over

Using your tool of choice fold the CDC feathers over and pull them forward by the tips, straightening the fibers.

cdccaddissbs7.jpg

Step 7: Catch the hackles in pincer

Using a tool of your choice - I am using a paper clip, but the Petijean Magic Tool is a workable substitute - catch the CDC fibers sticking out and cut off the stem.

cdccaddissbs8.jpg

Step 8: Dubbing loop

Prepare a tight dubbing loop with your dubbing twister; make sure it is not loose around the fly. Pass the CDC fibers from your tool to the dubbing loop. Try to avoid any wax, as it is likely to spoil the structure of CDC feathers.

cdccaddissbs9.jpg

Step 9: Twist the CDC fibers into brush

Spin your dubbing twister furiously, creating a dubbing brush. Wind the brush around thorax area of your fly using a pair of hackle pliers.

cdccaddissbs10.jpg

Step 10: Finish the fly

Tie off the dubbing brush, form a neat head. Do not attempt to shorten the hackle fibers, as their high mobility in even the smallest current is a major trigger point for this fly. Take a step back and enjoy your work!

cdccaddissbs11.jpg

Cheers!

J.

very nice SBS. I really like that idea with using the Styrofoam. That works pretty slick :) Never thought of trying that.

Thx's

Mike