Fly Tying
spinner

Montana Trip

I'm going out to Montana in a couple weeks or so to help my uncle, he's a contractor and is working on a house on Flathead Lake. I'm going to be up there for two weeks and I could really use some information on what I'll need to bring and about the water around there. Some input would be greatly appreciated.

Sam, I would contact the closest fly shop to that area. they are going to be your best resource on the waters there.

Reading my first question I see it didn't come out like i thought it would. Anyways i was wondering if some of the western fellows could give some input on flies and tactics. I've never been out west before and im pretty much going blind concerning what i should do. I would greatly appreciate any advice

hey spinner,

you might want to check out the flows on the rivers up in the flathead area. down here in SW montana the rivers are blown out and not worth fishing, but i imagine a stonefly nymph, check out pats rubberlegs they are an easy tie but a super productive fly. a san juan worm or anything along those lines. you might get into some BWO or some baetis hatches or if your lucky a salmonfly hatch. check them all out. What area around flathead?

Andrew