Fly Tying
rockworm

Boot recommendations

I need a new pair of boots. Since I have very wide feet I have been considering Simms new Vibram-soled boots which come EEE. Opinions posted on the web seem to be split on the soles. I would like to do my part for the environment, but not if it risks a cracked skull. There have also been some negative comments about the boots' stiffness. I would appreciate any/all comments from my fellow Flytyers. Since I mostly fish small streams and rivers, it would also be an advantage if the boots could be used for moderate hikes. Thanks in advance for your help.

I got a pair of the Korkers Guide boots this year and so far have no complaints. The BOA lacing system is freaking awesome. They've also got interchangeable soles, so that was nice on a recent backcountry trip I took where I needed a studded sole for wading and a normal sole for the 5 mile hike to where I was fishing. I've got the plain felt sole(haven't used them yet), the trail lug sole(used that for hiking in), and the studded Mossy Rock soles (what I've used for all of my wading with them so far).

Not sure about their sizing, but here is a link to the boots.

http://www.korkers.com/footwear/fishing/gu...ading-boot.html

If they don't have the size you're after, I've also had a positive experience with Chota's boots. Not a big fan of Simms boots as the one pair of Simms boots I had in the past self destructed on me in less than a season- and they were pretty stiff. I love their waders though.

Thanks Alex! The interchangeable soles of the Korkers sounds good. I will check out their sizing. I haven't heard much about the Chotas; but what I have heard has been positive. Thanks for the link.

Hey, My feet are wide as hell too. sucks buying tennis shoes I like.

anyway, I have a pair of Simms Guide (i think) boots, I do not think they are wide, but they fit really well. The soles are vibram, and I have not had any problems with them. I have used them on the shale, slime covered rivers in ohio, and have not had a problem at all. if needed, you can buy studs to screw in. when i get home tonight, ill look at the model boot I have and answer any more questions you have. They are not too stiff, and look much more durable than any other shoe ive had.

Joe

The Simms Guide with vibram sole is the one with the NuBuck last isn't it? How long have you had them? That's the boot I had sort of zeroed in on until I started checking out reviews. I figured leather boots would conform to my fat feet better than the synthetics. Two reviews mentioned that the boot was very stiff when dry- So stiff that one reviewer claimed the boot caused his stockingfeet to leak. But I haven't written this boot off yet. Thanks for the info.

Not a big fan of "Swimms". Big on price small on features... The Korker Guide boots are great! I have a pair and am totally sold! Boa laces are great! Fit is great! They are light weight yet totally durable! The interchangeable souls are like nothing else out there. For the price, I don't think you can find a better wading boot

Chris and Cheri

Thats 2 votes for Korkers! And 2 votes for Chotas. Any idea about their width?

Thanks for the help.

Cabela's Ultra Light wading boots come in wide sizes. I wear a 15E and they're actually a little too wide for my foot. Comfy, lightweight, and I got them on sale for under $30...

I checked out the Korkers guide boot today. wow looks like a very nice boot. no laces!

my opinion from working in the fly shop around the boots and such-

go with the vibram soles. you must ware the studs in them to keep the extra traction

The korkers guide boot is sick because of the BOA lacing system. fits nice a firm just like a ski boot. just twist the thing and you are good to go. for a cheeper boot go with the korkers crosscurrent boot

simms are an amazing boot. i don't know why people says the are a lot of money and little on features. might i remind you that when trout unlimited asked for all companies to discontinue felt soles by 2010 (in the year 2008) that simms immediately stepped up to the plate and accepted. now all they sell are vibram soles. they are really nice boots with nice features. I have the rivershed model which is moderately priced. the thing i like most about them is the material. it is a thicker material which comes in handy when you cross the wrong snakes path and he decides to bite. the material does not soak up that much water so that helps with minimal transport of aquatic invasive species. they lace up just like a hiking boot which is nice to me. and they are lighter than the guide series for some hike in fishing trips. the guide model is a heavier model which is not as good for hike in fly fishing but still works.