Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
c-denby

Storing synthetics like krystal and flashabou, etc..

Hey everyone,

I know there are hundreds of ways to sort and store your tying materials, However, I have a pretty good system for most materials. But, when I first started tying I thought that I needed some of every possible color of krystal flash and flashabou, So I did buy 2 of each color in all types of flashabou including saltwater size, and 2 of every color of krystal and glow krystal and glow flashabou, and all the different UV flashes and like 5 packs of purple haze and fushcia haze, etc..... SOOOO now that I have it all, It is all just mixed together in a couple small totes and is just a mess. Impossible to find the color im looking for at the time So i find myself only using the pearl all the time.

Long story short- Anyone have any ideas or systems to storing all their flash materials so that they are easily accessible and can find the color you want..

I have seen a small carousel type one from UNI i think but it doesnt hold many and it looks like they all will still get tangled together..

Cheers,

Chris

try using cup hooks. I bought a pack of 30 or so from a dollar store, screwed them into a wall and hung all mine up separately so I can see them all

Problem with that is that most of the area around my desk is shelves and I also like to have a fan on because my tying room isnt very well ventilated. I have to be careful what I have out on the tables or hanging because if I turn on the fan, I could have materials everywhere..

Cheers,

Chris

try using cup hooks. I bought a pack of 30 or so from a dollar store, screwed them into a wall and hung all mine up separately so I can see them all

How do you fit 8" hanks of Flash and Flashabou in a hook cup? Am I misunderstanding you? :dunno:

-Searching!

How do you fit 8" hanks of Flash and Flashabou in a hook cup? Am I misunderstanding you? :dunno:

-Searching!

leave the stuff in the bag and hang it just like the fly shop or put the hook in the middle of the shiny stuff just below the locking ring

Is there anywhere I can buy long bags like the ones this materials comes in... I took alot of them out of the bags when I first started tying and thought I would keep them all in a drawer. So now maybe if I can find some bags that I can put everything back into, I could actually hang them up somewhere..

Cheers,

Chris

-Searching!

leave the stuff in the bag and hang it just like the fly shop or put the hook in the middle of the shiny stuff just below the locking ring

OOOOOH! Cup Hooks NOT Hook Cups!! My dyslexia must be kickin' in! Thanks.

-Searching!

Ridderbos3 has the same tubes and he can sut them to size. I have tubes from both ridderbos and Fatbluegills they both work great

Is there anywhere I can buy long bags like the ones this materials comes in... I took alot of them out of the bags when I first started tying and thought I would keep them all in a drawer. So now maybe if I can find some bags that I can put everything back into, I could actually hang them up somewhere..

Cheers,

Chris

Try Jann's Netcraft. Although they primarily deal with materials to make baitcasting type lures, they also have some fly tying materials at fair prices. More importantly to you, though, is that they have zip-lock bags in various sizes which are perfect for fly tyers.

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/polybags-boxes/370101.aspx

why not leave the flash in the original baggie they were purchased in??

That will be my plan for the future. But as I stated, I originally took them out of their original bags and put them in a plastic drawer box. Well as the quantity and color selections grew, I found it really hard to find the colors I needed and just stopped using most of the colors all together. I would like to now re-organize in order to make use of all the color selections I have and be able to find one when needed. So when my new tying room is finished i'm going to do one half of the wall with shelves and one half with peg board so I can store alot of my synthetic materials like a store would.

Cheers,

Chris

I use the tubes with the red caps. They work great. I bought some and after I found the diameter that works best for me I found the same tubing and caps on line. I think I ended up buying 40 linier feet (8, 5foot pieces) of tubing and 50 caps. They cut easy enough so you can make custom lengths. I fashioned a little hook out of a coat hanger to feed the material back into the tubes if it’s a tight fit. Most of the time it just slides back in. I use the address labels from Avery to print out what type and color of material is in each tube. No real need for the color though, ‘cause they’re clear.

-D