Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
kindaso

Shuttlecock flies

I have been introduced to shuttlecock type of flies, where the cdc extends over the eye and acts as your flotation device, and the hook shank is perpindicular to the surface. Well, I was thinking. What if instead of CDC, I used foam instead. Do you guys think this would work. I tied one and it sits good, but the foam goes deep into the water. Is this look going to effect the fish's look on things, or not? Or should I just stick with CDC? I want to use foam because im short on CDC and foam floats longer. I plan on attaching a dropper, so it needs to float good. I got a picture to try and show whats goin on. Its really bad quality but I put some captions to try and explain.(Look at the ends of the lines, Im bad with computers)

post-21927-1276390878_thumb.png

Thanks for the help

Jake

Foam works well for surface buzzers, you just have to be careful what foam you use - there is the closed cell and open cell foam, the difference in flotation is big. I like the foam that is marketed for the Booby style flies, it works well. CDC shuttlecock is more subtle, but good only for one fish (then it is slimed) and hard to follow on water.

Here is a link to my foam buzzer http://graylingonfly.blogspot.com/2009/12/...ve-buzzers.html

and a CDC one for comparison http://graylingonfly.blogspot.com/2010/03/...huttlecock.html

Cheers!

J.