Fly Tying
trez

Picked up some Bison/buffalo hair what to use it for???

I was down at the local leather store the other day and saw some scraps of buffalo hide/hair on. It was the mane and has nice shiny crinkly black hair about 4 inchs long. Never tied with it or heard of it used but thought I'd ask. Anyone use it and if so, for what? I'm guessing streamers but I haven't tied many hair streamers as of yet.

sounds tastey cant wait to see what you make of it

sounds like a long calf tail

could be used as a black bear sub. or moose sub. depending on its stiffness

maybe think atlantic salmon flys like the long tail

Sounds similar to icelandic sheep hair? fairly long with a bit of a curl or wavyness to it? Great for streamers and tube flies.. just play around with it and see how you like it.. Should work for all kinds of flies.. I LOVE to experiment with different furs by using the excess I cut off after tying or just taking a chunk and cutting it into different lengths and making a dubbing out of it.. if you mix the lengths of hair up it gives you a really buggy look to it.. I save ALL my fur/hair trimmings and such just so I can experiment by making different dubbings..

Cheers

Chris

That sounds like great stuff. I was thinking maybe a streamer. Maybe a black nosed dace, mickey finn or somethig like that with some black shinny fur.

I bought some blue wildebeast one a whim and can't figure out what to use it for. It's real short and not hollow but a beutiful brownish blue.

Ted

ailj1668 did someone hit you on the head or are you a spammer attacking this site?

Anyway Bison makes great wool head sculpins.