Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Taylor B. Hess

Mouse Patterns for Salmon River? Would they work for steelies and brow

I was thinking about some articles I've read on large browns and bows that maul mouse patterns in Alaska and on large rivers. Is it possible for mouse patterns to intise a brown or steelie to strike? I've visited the Salmon River region before, and I've never seen or heard of them being used, but could they work? Any help or insight would be much appreciated. Thanks. :huh:

Never fished that particular water but I know for me I do catch some really nice brownies on mice, I have also heard of some guys doing moderately well on big bows here and thee with them. I know that areas that have a larger population of lemmings (mouseish looking rodentie critter) they will key in on them hard core when they begin to breed and come in contact with the water on a regular basis. In short I would say you've got nothing to loose but time and maybe a couple flies by giving it a try. Be persistent and don't give up easily. I fished mice for browns off and on for about 20 days worth of time on the water and once I got one I have never looked back and my success rate has gone way up mostly because i was not doing it right when I started and had to fine tune my presentation and retrieve for the old boys to be happy enough to eat it.

Steve

Never fished that particular water but I know for me I do catch some really nice brownies on mice, I have also heard of some guys doing moderately well on big bows here and thee with them. I know that areas that have a larger population of lemmings (mouseish looking rodentie critter) they will key in on them hard core when they begin to breed and come in contact with the water on a regular basis. In short I would say you've got nothing to loose but time and maybe a couple flies by giving it a try. Be persistent and don't give up easily. I fished mice for browns off and on for about 20 days worth of time on the water and once I got one I have never looked back and my success rate has gone way up mostly because i was not doing it right when I started and had to fine tune my presentation and retrieve for the old boys to be happy enough to eat it.

Steve

alright thanks. anything I should know about the presentation? :dunno: like where to fish it? deep runs? undercut banks? riffels? and any recommended patterns? I've heard the Morrish Mouse is a good pattern. Any others? Again, thanks for the all your help.

I've never fished mouse patterns, but I've read plenty on it. From what I read the guy says to throw it in the darkest spots you can find, such as undercut banks, and if the moon is too bright than cast it where there are shadows on the water. And then slowly wake it back twards you and hold on. Also I heard the white bellied mouse Is a killer for big browns.

here is the one I use its just white deer hair belly and natural deer hair for the back of the mouse with deer hide for tail and ears and eyes colored with a sharpie and rubber legs for whiskers http://www.flytyingforum.com/pattern5913.html

I've fished and tied the morrish mouse for a while now and not been to horribly impressed, I know it's supposed to ride a bit more natural in the water and all but it just doesn't do it for my fish. I like a spun deer hair mouse just like riffleriversteelheadslayer talks about above. Only I omit the whiskers and ears unless I am tying for a customer. I really feel that most of the time fish are just looking for a silhouette more than anything when they eat a mouse. I really like a #6 or #8 bass stinger hook but will on occasion go to a #4 or#2 if the water is stained or off color or they are just super aggressive. Fish undercuts, deep pools with steep banks and brush even moderate riffles have been pretty good for me from time to time.

Steve

here is the one I use its just white deer hair belly and natural deer hair for the back of the mouse with deer hide for tail and ears and eyes colored with a sharpie and rubber legs for whiskers http://www.flytyingforum.com/pattern5913.html

love those tying instructions! :bugeyes: