Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
donrf

Emu Feathers

Hello everyone,

My son has a job working at a wildlife preserve, and one of his responsibilities is to comb the emu. The bird loves to be preened, so I will have a lifetime supply of feathers by the end of the summer! Has anyone ever used these unusual feathers? If so, I would love to hear about patterns that use this material.

Thanks

Don

I use them all the time.. Basically for anything that I want a stiffer barbed hackle.. Great stuff and can be dyed any color

I tie two particularly effective carp flies with them, one is a bunk head leech, the other is a mad chicken leech. I am not too aware of where to find a pattern and being particularly lazy today I will let you google it if you like. it makes a great fly in lots of different way, I actually purchased a trash sack full of feathers from a farm that was going to the slaughter house with them and have really enjoyed them, They do take to dye very easily and hold color well.

Steve

I tied a couple of smaller wooly buggers using emu for the hackle the other day. It gives the fly a neat appearence in the water and the smallies yesterday didn`t seem to mind. :)