Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TOM PRUETT

Popper hook size chart

Does any have, use a chart for poppers !!!

Iam going to make some poppers ...But do i use the same size hook as the popper or bigger!!!

The hook i was going to use was C52S-BLN

I know of no such chart. With the commercially available shaped bodies the

different weight and length hooks which will work well with different sized bodies

is likely to vary.

My practice is to purchase a bunch of different size hooks and bodies and mix and

match depending on what size popper I want to end up with.

Of course if you are going to shape your own bodies, a bit of experimentation will

be in the future.

I generally want the hook point to end somewhere beyond the back end of the

popper head. It doesn't always work out that way with pencil poppers and SW bodies.

This is a question that I have had to 'sleep on' as I have extremely vague recollections that the old Reed Tackle Company did have such a chart in their catalog. They were a very popular purveyor of cork bodies and the attendant materials for making cork poppers in the '70's and 80's. Unfortunately, I am no closer to a definitive response than I was when I first read the question. What is even worse, for me at least, I cannot recall where I have my old Reed catalog squirreled away. Perhaps my comment will jog the memory of someone out there who remembers the Reed company and their catalogs. If not, then 'stippled poppers' has answered the question.

perchjerker