Fly Tying
tightlinesfisherman

Temple Fork Outfitters Conversion Kit Feedback

Hey Everyone!

I know that we are supposed to be talking about tying but I have a general fishing question. I just purchased a TFO Conversion Kit for my TiCRx 8 wt. to make it an 11'3" two-handed rod and wanted to know if anyone has good/bad experience with this. If you have had successes, how would you tell me to use it (overhead cast, spey cast, etc) and what line has been the most beneficial? Also, if you have had failures with it - please let me know before I take it out and depreciate it's value. Thanks a million and have a blessed day!

I'm hoping to tackle the rocks and the surf with it.

Well I have never gotten a conversion kit before but I can tell you one thing, Ifyou want your arm to fall off or want an excuse for early rotator cuff surgery cast a 11" 3" rod overhand one handed for a day. If you want the best out of your conversion learn to spey cast or use it as an extended nymphin rod. I have a 12"6" 6 wieght spey rod I line out with 8 wt nymph ,ine for super high stick nymphing If you want the lowdown on this conversion go to www.speypages.com and throw this out there. Those guys are the long rod authority

I'm using the conversion kit for my 7 weight TiCRX and like it. When going to the beach and the winds not blowing excessively, I'll carry the both the rod and conversion kit and decide what to use after I get there. I do it overhand and find the extra distance useful. I actually find it easier than standard overhand since you're using the leverage of the long rod. You will need a stripping basket in that case as the line tends to want to tangle since you've got a lot of line out. So far I like it and plan to learn some spey casting technique in the future. But for beach fishing, the overhand seems to work fine. It was worth the cost to buy it. I'm even considering another 8 weight (I've already got 3) to go with the conversion kit.