Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flyguys

Went up to my sons room....

I went up to my sons room. He is 12 years old and earlier in this season he took an iterest in tying flies with the old man as he calls me lol. Anyways i walk into the room and hes on his thompson i bought him. I stood over top of him watching for a min. just admiring skills i did not pocess at that age he had made hist first quality wooly bugger. Now i guess it time for him to make me a box of them. I took a pic included. Am i the only crazy that is extremely proud or does anybody else out there have pics of thier kids first good fly bc i would love to see them heres my boys. Once again i think he made me proud.

Fly1002.jpg

My 7yr old ties all the time and recently I was filling my midge box and he came to the back porch to hang with dad. he started tying some rojo midges and after about 4 or 5 he had some really nice looking flies going there. I actually took a half a dozen and put them in my box and let him have what was left if he wanted them. He has a HUGE box full of flies both he and I have tied. For a 7yr old he is a fantastic tier but his casting leaves a bit to be desired but we work on it all the time and slowly he is improving.

Heck of a nice bugger your son tied there keep him behind that vise and on the water.

Steve

:thumbup: Good job, keep him on the flies and the fishing and outta trouble!

My daughter told me she was proud of my flies, does that count? Kind of a role reversal. Made me beam though.

Your son's fly looks awesome! I have 2 sons, 9 and 12 and they both tie. My youngest makes some very strange looking things. Although he did make a very nice pheasant tail under the tootilage of the old man. My oldest has made a few nice muddler minnows from watching a Dick Talleur video. Good times!

post-22410-1278008237_thumb.jpg

Good that you share interests. That is a nice fly. My son and I started many years ago. Our first flies looked like something you would scrape off the bumper! I know of so many kids that only see their parents briefly each day. Our pastor remarked last Sunday that quality time with kids has shrunk to only a matter of seconds per day!

I went up to my sons room. He is 12 years old and earlier in this season he took an iterest in tying flies with the old man as he calls me lol. Anyways i walk into the room and hes on his thompson i bought him. I stood over top of him watching for a min. just admiring skills i did not pocess at that age he had made hist first quality wooly bugger. Now i guess it time for him to make me a box of them. I took a pic included. Am i the only crazy that is extremely proud or does anybody else out there have pics of thier kids first good fly bc i would love to see them heres my boys. Once again i think he made me proud.

Fly1002.jpg

How fortunate you are. Having three grown daughters that used to fish with the Ol man when they were that age was great. Now they are making families of their own. I have a 2 1/2 year old granddaughter that I plan on making a little flyfisher out of. With my help she has scored some quality gills and largemouth from a private pond. Cant wait until she can get in the driftboat with me.

Long story short .. I took my son and his family fishing one day. They came back to my apartment to get cleaned up to eat. My now 7 year old grandson saw my Dyna-King Trekker and asked me what it was and how I make the flies. He sat in my lap and just basically spun the handle. Then I heard the magic words .. Papa can you teach me? His 6 year old sister added her .. teach me too. I can't wait to get started with them.

Mike

Sweet. Here is my 5 year old at the bench. I guess she needs a phone book or 2 ;)

26264_1357979839309_1525898179_883062_2714553_n.jpg

not my son's room, but every day he asks me after work..."dad...can we go tie flies?"...makes a papa pround

by the way...I form up some paper clips for the yungin' to tie on...works pretty well and is "MOM" approved

post-9829-1279927833_thumb.jpg

post-9829-1279927849_thumb.jpg

post-9829-1279927864_thumb.jpg