Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flyguys

Spey Challenge

Well someone on another forum challenged me to a swap the category was spey flies tie two of our choice. He is a friend and knows i dont tie these very often but heres what i tied up tonight to send him. Comments and feedback please.101_0752.jpg 101_0747.jpg

Looks good to me. I agree that a smaller head is always desirable. Also, you might want to apply some veniard's varnish to the heads. It will give a smooth finish to the head.

First off those flies will work very well. I'm not sure I'd call them Spey flies though. But maybe Speyness is in the eyes of the beholder.

Beautiful flies, though they look like marabou streamers to me and not at all like spey flies. I know there is a lot of contemporary spey patterns but I would think they would still need to retain some of the classic lines and features.

found this pattern on a spey pattern site said it was something called a Alaskabou like i said this would not be my normal type of fly but that what he challenged me to do. I tie alot of patterns for fun and like experimenting so if anyone has any flies that are pretty let me know. Anything pretty i like to have fun with lol.