Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flyguys

Off Topic

I have been tying for a couple years now but finally retiring from the Air Force and moving back to my home town of Springfield Ohio. Not many rivers or streams so i want to learn how to make my own wooden crankbaits and was wondering if im looking at way to much work. There is alot of ponds around there with really nice bass and i cant afford to miss them. With me making all my own flies i want to make my own lures too. If someone has some experience in this please help i dont know where to begin materials, tools, ect thanks in advance.

Its not at all difficult to make your own plugs. Cabelas and other Internet stores sell all the parts you would need. Raw wood blanks are also available in sevral styles. I carved my own plugs to build up a supplie of Musky baits.

Fly fishing for bass is a LOT of fun too. Foam poppers, deer hair bugs, streamers, and the good old wooly bugger will all work. You should find plenty of oportunity to fly rod fish while your carving your plugs.

I used to fish a little pond near work that someone had stocked with small mouth years ago. Nymphs and hornburg's worked great.

Larry Dalbergh sells a lure making kit.I believe he has a video on youtube showing how it's done and how to order one.Good Luck.

Hi,

I just got a new book and it shows you how and I have to say it is pretty easy compared to what I thought. Tells you what wood to use etc. Hope it helps. It is a great little book. Wooden Lures

www.luremaking.com has basically all the items you would need to make any fishing lures... They have tons of sizing charts, stencils and step-by-steps that you can print out in actual size.. I have been buying my luremaking supplies from them for a few years and have never had a problem and they always have what I want, or are willing to help find it..

Cheers,

Chris