Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
mswaterfowler

Creek Smallmouth

Me and my friend were hiking and we found a creek that is maybe bout 30-40 feet across and so we started to fish it. We had our spining rods and caught a bunch of 1/2 to 1 1/2 lb. smallies, pretty as they could be. We only had our spinning rods and we caught them on some white roostertails. I think we are going back tomorrow or sunday. So what I want to know is what flies I need to catch some smallies out of there? Poppers? Buggers? What? And how should we fish them? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

In faster current, I have had good luck on smallies by swinging Clousers. Chart/white is one of my best colors for smallies. Buggers are also a great choice, and maybe throw in a few large nymphs, like giant black stones or any hellgramite patterns.

If you were catching them on white roostertails then try white buggers that will probably work. Also try clousers and crawfish and helgramites.

Simi seal style leach (size 6-8 (4xl streamer hook) black or olive with marabou tail( no flash materials in tail) no bead head, lead wire underbody) ,Taneycomo sculpin (Olive,black or natural size 6-8 4xl streamer), Backstabber (mustad 3366 size 4-8), Bass Vampire (mustad 3366 size 4-8), Crazy carper (mustad 3366 size 6 or 4xl streamer hook size 8), carp carrot or montana carrot (size 6-8 mustad 3366 or 3906B),and carp candy (size 8-10). The last two make for good baby crawfish patterns. I use FTD`s Mr Peacock or Wet and Coarse dubbing for the simi leach body and the Taneycomo sculpins head ( both in a dubbing loop or dubbing brush). If you want something larger and bulkier then try a Home Invader. As you can see I like flies with heavy heads that sit on the bottom. I am now in the process of switching to brass hour glass eyes from Canadian Llama for all my flies. :headbang: For top water flies I just use gurglers or Stealth bombers.

Simi Leach

Taneycomo sculpin

Carp carrot

Montana carrot and carp candy

Home invader vid

Crazy carper

Backstabber vid

Bass vampire

Stealth bomber

Gurgler

Congrats on the great fishing. Discovery of a new fishing creek is pure gold! The perfect fly yesterday would have been a hand tied white wooly bugger with silver tinsel or flasha boo. If it didnt rain or change the water -color level-flow-ect ,this should be the ticket today. Good luck!!

Man, I love fishing in small streams for Smallies! There are some here in MD, that will remain unnamed, :rolleyes: that I've fished for many years, where a 14 inch Smallmouth is a trophy. These folks have given some great suggestions, and Brian, those links are great!

I do best with simple patterns, primarily rabbit leeches tied on size 6 to 2 hooks, or large fuzzy nymphs in olive or black. I once had a great day catching not only Smallmouths, but Largemouths & trout in a tiny stream on a size 6 black rubber legged stonefly nymph. I'm reasonably sure there were no stoneflies that large in this tiny flow, but the adjacent undergrowth was full of large crickets, and there were lots of small crayfish, either of which the fly could have represented.

For topwaters, and since hoppers have been mentioned, I've done well with the foam Triple Deckers & Chernobyl patterns in greens, tan/brown, black & even white. :)

I ended up not going today, my friend backed out and I did not feel comfortable hiking 5 miles back to it alone. But thanks for all of the suggestions and tips. I will be filling a box for the next time we go.

Just a guess but if you caught them on a white rooster tail I would go back with a white slumpbuster...

Steve

Everyone has given you some great ideas and patterns. I still love a good popper, predator or other foam bug. Also dont forget about epoxy minnows either to mimick baitfish. I usually tie the Megan's Minnow in size 10 or 12. I also use an Alsakan fry with great success