Fly Tying
spey guy

most liked trout species

most liked trout species  

287 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Marbled Trout ... is that the same fish some people are calling "Tiger Trout"?

No. The marbled trout is a species that exists around the Adriatic -- northern Italy and the Balkans. (Probably other places in Europe as well.) It's closely related to the brown trout, and can get quite large. There are none in the Western Hemisphere.

The tiger trout is a hybrid between a brown trout and a brook trout. They're usually artificial produced in hatcheries, but wild ones exist.

Browns for me - they're more challenging to catch... I do enjoy the acrobatics of a rainbow however...hmmm and golden and golden/rainbow cross we have here in CA are sure pretty too. I love brookies for their willingness to "play" they do seem to aim to please....

Hmmmm I didn't see a button for "all of the above" as long as it swims - I'm game for it to play! headbang.gif

hey i see a striper on your profile pic. is that a Hybrid or the real deal.?

I dont see anyone mentioning a tiger trout. ( hybrid cross between a brook and a brown).. is this a purist thread?

Hmmmmm Just how good are your reading skills, Joe???

Your post is #64 ... on #62 was a mention of Tiger Trout ....

Hmmmmm Just how good are your reading skills, Joe???

Your post is #64 ... on #62 was a mention of Tiger Trout ....

hmmm. nailed me again Mike. I need to slow down and read a complete thread next time....

Steelheads...I have only caught 2. But a big brookie (over 16") is a serious fight that takes more skill and luck than most to land.

Lake bows look like steelheads but they lack fight. i dragged a 20" for almost an hour before i realized i caught him. My grandfather liked trolling sometimes...I hated it.

But i want to be able to say i caught all of them. There is one missing. The Golden trout. I need to catch one. but can't find were they hide in Colorado. I may end up leaving that square un-checked on my bucket list.

But i did get to drive about 140mph through the Eisenhower tunnel with a State Patrol gal (on a bike) signalling me to go faster...When that came up on top gear i was so proud to say i beat em by a decade.

Steelheads...I have only caught 2. But a big brookie (over 16") is a serious fight that takes more skill and luck than most to land.

Lake bows look like steelheads but they lack fight.

Okay ... I could be wrong here. Probably am, because I've never, actively pursued trout or salmon.

But it's my understanding that Rainbow Trout and Steelhead are the same fish ... just different environments.

Steelhead are two to three year old or more, native wild sea going rainbows who go into fresh water to spawn. Stocked rainbows never saw the ocean, never had to fight ocean currents etc.. They do have resident steelhead that live in the great lakes and go up the riverways to spawn. It's unclear to me if these are true steelhead who worked their way there from the ocean or not, but by definition they should have, in order to be crowned with the name.

Steelhead can be large and stupendous fighting fish.

Lake bows look like steelheads but they lack fight.

Okay ... I could be wrong here. Probably am, because I've never, actively pursued trout or salmon.

But it's my understanding that Rainbow Trout and Steelhead are the same fish ... just different environments.

Yeah, that is basically the way it is. I have never seen DNA comparisons to be sure.

But let us take 2 kids (MUST BE TWINS) and raise one as a complete coach potato while putting the other through MMA type hard-core training for his life. By the time they reach adult-hood they will be 2 completely different animals even though they started as twins.

The mixing of trout types took a hard hold on Colorado around 1978-79 untill about 1986. Whirling disease followed by a different wasting disease (i can't remember the name) decimated EVERY fishery on the East side of the divide. i have read the same happened on the West slope but i wasn't there to observe like i was here.

Because Brookies are more char than trout they were about the only ones to survive.

We use to have a native brown here. I haven't seen one since about 1982. Now all you find are the resistant German Browns they stocked every-where.

I actually caught my steelheads in Idaho during their spawn. While doing the bar-circuit tour i had some afternoons. It was an amazing day. Chase fish by day, chase girls and my drums by night. And every-one wonders why i am crazy...

But i remember years that you could search the rivers and streams and never even see a trout much less catch one.

I am thankful more than any-one can imagine that our state spent the time and resources to bring them back. i KNOW that it was a very hard and expensive undertaking.

Most people never think about that. I say a thank-you to Colorado's DOW every time i catch a trout.