Fly Tying
flytyinfreak

Got some stinky flies! What to do.....

I bid on and won 2 doz. turks tarantulas' Got the box today and upon opening the box my eyes started watering as the stench of Ether (moth ball smell) was overwhelming! How do I get rid of the smell? I know they won't catcha thing as a trouts sense of smell is many many times more sensitive than ours is, and these things are smelly though and through!!! Any suggestions? I was thinkin about washing em in some mildly soapy water and then letting em sit and dry. what do you guys think?

I'm not sure, but I think napthalene (the chemical they make mothballs with) is insoluble in water. You may have better luck washing your flies in an organic solvent, like gasoline or ether or that stuff used in dry-cleaning.

Been nice had the seller mentioned this in the auction, if there is not any evidence of the chemical remaining in the fly packaging, let them air out for a few days and if there is no change may be a solution to wash them in a anise bath or vanilla bath as both these scents will work as an over-cover and as an attractant if you are not against doing that sort of thing. Some purists will squeal about scents on flies but in this situation it may be the only choice if you wish to use them.

ok here is what I suggest take them all out let air out for a day or two then take them to a river and find a really good muddy spot along the bank and roll them around in the mud coating them completely then rinse off and fish them

i READ SOMETHING ONLINE ABOUT USING A STEAM IRON ON THEM. i THINK i'LL DO THE STEAM IRON followed by a dryout session in the warm Idaho Sun. then maybe some vinegar and fianlly a dip in some anise oil.

Just open the box and let them sit in the air for a week or so.

Turck's Tarantula has rubber legs? Using solvents could destroy them depending on what they're made of.

I don't think scent has any bearing on surface flies, good or bad. Lots of dry fly dressings have nasty chemicals and solvents in them. The old standard was Paraffin dissolved in GASOLINE.

Whether the "moth balls" were naphthalene or paradichlorobenzene, the odor will go away if you just let them sit in the open for a while.

Thanks J. I tried washing some in warm soapy water and the smell is somewhat diluted. I guess you're right about the smell thing and dry flies, Gas and paraffin? YIKES! I just don't like the smell. But You live and you learn. The guy I bought them from says he distributes and gets flies that smell of mothballs all the time, no problem. I don't agree with the use of mothballs especially after some of the stuff I read last night.. It's nasty nasty stuff. There are plenty of natural moth deterents out there that are much safer and smell really good.

As usual I agree with JSzymczyk, just let them air out for several days. I would use any other type of solvent or scent on them as that will likely cause the hooks to rust prematurely, and as Joel said, possibly damage the rubber legs.

Funny how folks get all upset over that smell, and it doesn't seem to occur to most that there are likely other nasty chemicals on feathers & fur used to tie those flies that may not be noticable, not to mention the possible scent(s) left by the person tying them. Depending on where the flies were tied, if they're imports, it's still a standard practice in many places to treat raw tying materials with formaldehyde to preserve them & to kill vermin that may be present. Just air them out, & they'll be fine! :)

I had the same problem with a Partridge skin I purchased online, strong smell of mothballs. I left it in the garage, out of the bag, for probably three months…maybe longer. When I couldn’t smell the odor any longer I put the skin back in a new bag. Every time I pull it out now though, I still get a faint whiff.

You can substitute the steam column coming from the spout on a teapot of boiling water for the steam iron. Just be sure to hold the flies with hemostats or something similar to keep from incurring a severe steam burn. However, a good airing outside on a bright, hot, sunny day will probably doe more than a steaming for dissipating the odor.

FWIW, I use whole cloves in both my fly boxes and in my natural tying materials as a moth deterrent; and I doubt anyone finds the aroma of cloves to be noxious. Have used them with great success for close to 30 years now. The proprietor of my home-owned fly shop taught me this trick.

perchjerker

You can substitute the steam column coming from the spout on a teapot of boiling water for the steam iron. Just be sure to hold the flies with hemostats or something similar to keep from incurring a severe steam burn. However, a good airing outside on a bright, hot, sunny day will probably doe more than a steaming for dissipating the odor.

FWIW, I use whole cloves in both my fly boxes and in my natural-tying-materials storage containers as a moth deterrent. I doubt anyone finds the aroma of cloves to be noxious. The fish haven't. Have used them with great success for close to 30 years now. The proprietor of my home-owned fly shop taught me this trick.

perchjerker