Fly Tying
spey guy

ringneck pheasant

hello all! i'm thinking about buying a ring neck pheasant skin and i was wondering what kinds of patterns can be made with it

thanks

Luke

well here's a good place to start, the Fly pattern database, by material, http://www.flytyingforum.com/materialPheasant.html

I think you'll find something that will suite your needs :) Pheasant is probably one of the most commonly used natural materials used for fly tying. And every single feather on a Pheasant can be used for all types of flies.

Mike

Ringneck pheasant feathers are super useful, and fortunately the skins are also inexpensive. They have a great variety of coloration, textures and sizes of feathers. Here are a couple other useful link discussing the uses of ringneck pheasant feathers:

Ringneck Pheasants Article (by Jack Gartside)

When you visit Jack Gartside's website, be sure to look at the patterns in his flies gallery. He used ringneck pheasant feathers on many of his highly effective fishing patterns.

Ringneck Pheasant Feathers (Blue Ribbon Flies link)