Fly Tying
FishyboY

Screw TSA........

just got $200 dollars worth of fly tying tools taken from my CHECKED BAGGAGE! and there was a little note left in there that tsa leaves when they inspect your checked luggage for suspicious materials. and i called TSA and according to them i was suppost to take them on my carry on since they were tools under 4 inches! :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :ripped: :ripped: :ripped: :ripped: :ripped:

Wrong! According to their own website you can take scissors with you or check it (under 4 inches) Call them back and give them the site and demand they reimburse you or you will sue the #@%# bastards!

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/pro...ed-items.shtm#4

I hate bureaucrats on a G.D. power trip!!!

That does suck! What was taken? Last couple of times that I've been on a plane, the only thing I had in my checked luggage was a fly rod & my pliers/cutters. I carried my flies on board. I don't usually carry tying supplies. I didn't have any problems, but was concerned about the hooks potentially being an issue. They were not. I did get checked from head to toe aside from the regular metal detector. I guess I looked suspicious! <_<

If I was you, I would be filing complaints with all kinds of people. If there is no logical reason that your tools should have been removed from a checked baggage, then it sounds more like stealing to me. I can see the issue with carrying tools on board, but not in luggage that's in the cargo part of the plane! :dunno:

File a complaint with TSA, & your state's Attorney's office, and the local police, and the FBI, and your states legislative representatives. Make some noise, send emails & letters to everyone who's contact info you can get! You may not get your tools back, but you may make someone very uncomfortable if they're abusing their authority. :huh:

just got $200 dollars worth of fly tying tools taken from my CHECKED BAGGAGE! and there was a little note left in there that tsa leaves when they inspect your checked luggage for suspicious materials. and i called TSA and according to them i was suppost to take them on my carry on since they were tools under 4 inches! :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :ripped: :ripped: :ripped: :ripped: :ripped:

Wait a minute... I thought you could check almost anything. Since when do they complain about something being too small to check? That's obsene - but then, we are talking about our federal government. :wallbash:

Sadly, there's so many rules, and bureaucrats are constantly changing them, so the individuals on the ground can't keep up. :dunno:

Here is a funny story that happened to me with the TSA......

Myself and a group of my fellow brothers in blue were going to Talladega for the spring race last year, We were on a lay over in Cleveland and got jumbled around in the terminal and ended up having to go back through the security checkpoints. My buddy after getting his bag raided in Albany had half of his personnal hygene items confiscated, he really didnt care because they left him enough to get by for the week while were going to be in Alabama. Well we go through the Cleveland terminal they confiscate the remaining items, Now he is torqued. Now mind you We are all trained through our job to be consistent in everything we do day in and out, so that is why he got angry. He started yelling at them on how it can be allowed to go through Albany but not in Cleveland, so the kid working, who was way younger than any of us started to scream on him....it went horribly wrong for the young fella from TSA who went walking away crying from the ass chewing he received...that was run in number one. While me and my other co worker were going through we get pulled aside to go through the scanning booths and wanded, The TSA agent goes to us stupidly I only pulled you guys aside because I saw your shields in your wallets when you gave me your drivers licenses....and I knew you guys would not have anything. I lost it at that point and was like you gotta be f%*^ing kidding me, it makes me feel real safe to know that you guys are doing your god **%# jobs... to the applaud of everyone around us. Least to say I dont enjoy making a scene but I am firm believer in doing your job and doing it right and felt like something needed to be said to those idiots because by doing what they did imho did not make anyone feel safe.......

how did you prove it was TSA and not one of the baggage handlers??

just because they left a note that they inspected your baggage doesnt make them guilty of anything.

I dont understand that at all.....................I fly frequently and check in chefrs knives of every size you can imagine....................never had a problem as long as they are checked..............that includes travel to England and back

Mike........................ B)

you over-analyze things....

That's sort of a silly remark, FT14.

FishyboY regardless of who it was that confiscated your stuff, that really stinks. I'd definitely follow TideWaterFlies advise and persue it. Good luck :)

Good Day,

I wish we do what they do in Asia. When I lived there (Singapore) many countries would inspect your bag right in front of you then send it through a machine that would apply a heat shrink heavy duty woven plastic band to your luggage. Bastard when you got home to take it off, but never had to worry about lost items...

Next time, insure and send... and yes there are thieving bastard handlers, remember the story out of Conneticut I think...

Steelie

That is total horsesh*t and you have been ROBBED, plain and simple. Hey, I'm a f*in' Plankowner of the Dept of Homeland Security, and I'm 100% supportive of trying to keep people safe, but TSA is just, well, I'm not going to say it. The documentation you got should say where and when the stuff was confiscated, and they are required by law to inventory whatever they take, and you are entitled to know exactly who, where, and when it was taken. I always bag and label my weird stuff, using small words, in crayon, like "FISHING LURE MAKING TOOLS" and "INSECT COLLECTING GEAR", "SHARP KNIFE", etc. Never had a thief get me.... yet...

I had a good buddy one time put a really BIG umm... adult toy... right on top of his gear before closing his case, with a note that said "HERE TSA, GO F* YOURSELF!!" ... and it was still right there when we got home. :yahoo: :hyst: :hyst:

I'm thinking someone knew exactly what your stuff was, and I'm hoping it really wasn't a TSA -person- , and I doubt baggage handlers really have time to go through luggage. Was your baggage delayed or were you late in picking it up? Dude, call EVERYBODY up the chain, and don't rest until you get some satisfaction.

you over-analyze things....

maybe, but i dont over exaggerate or blame people that may not even be guilty.

it was a set of wasatch tools that were given to me for helping out with project healing waters so much. and then 3 pairs of dr. slick scissors and a bobbin.

i am fileing a complaint but it will take months. at least i still have one pair of scissors and a bobbin at home!

they don't like you to take expensive stuff on your checked baggage because they know people have a habit of stealing stuff from your checked baggage. that is why i carry fly rods, reels, and fly boxes on my carry on