Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Taylor B. Hess

Who is the true "Fly Fishing Authority"?

What Fly Magazine(s) is your "Fly Fishing Authority?"  

68 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey everyone! I've been curious to see what y'all have been reading when it comes to flyin and tyin. If you read a magazine that isn't covered here then share with everyone the name of the magazine and what region it corresponds to. Thanks, hopefully we can see who all reads what! Tight lines!

i dont think any ONE magazine is the "TRUE AUTHORITY" when it comes to tying and fly fishing. they all are different and provide their point of view to the reader.

you forgot to include "Hatches" as one of the primary choices. :nono:

i'm just saying "Hatches" is not on the list, not the "TRUE AUTHORITY" on tying and fly fishing.

Well..I have found that the true authority on flyfishing is who ever is standing next to me..Or so they think...been my experience.

I think Hatches and Fly Tyer have a leg up because they start from the fly tying aspect and go into the fly fishing part, whereas fly fishing magazines usually don't go into the fly tying part.

I have to agree that there is no One Authority but I did prefer Fly Tyer.

After spending money on Fly Fishing/Tying magazines from the early 80's to late 90's, I realized I was seeing the same ol' same ol' just different places and different names. So, I started canceling and spending my money on fly fishing/tying materials. I'll say though, Fly Tyer was my last one to cancel and was always my favorite. I think that was the most likely place to find something new and I like how-to build illustrations. I did have to question if many of the "new" patterns were ever tested before an article was written but that is typical, similar to my apprehension about many of the fly patterns submitted to the fly database here.

Kirk

Love the Drake. Won't find the how to's in there - but for me its the only one that captures the true experience (to me anyways) of the sport. Its not for all people though, and many don't like it or are unable to relate to it, I get that.

My interest is mainly tying, so I voted for Fly Tyer.

For over-all content (tying, fishing, other areas like history, interviews, etc.) I like Hatches.

Fly Fusion is pretty good, too.

i dont think any ONE magazine is the "TRUE AUTHORITY" when it comes to tying and fly fishing. they all are different and provide their point of view to the reader.

you forgot to include "Hatches" as one of the primary choices. :nono:

i'm just saying "Hatches" is not on the list, not the "TRUE AUTHORITY" on tying and fly fishing.

whoops! :unsure: :bored: please don't take any offense by me not adding it to the list.

Well..I have found that the true authority on flyfishing is who ever is standing next to me..Or so they think...been my experience.

:ban:

Love the Drake. Won't find the how to's in there - but for me its the only one that captures the true experience (to me anyways) of the sport. Its not for all people though, and many don't like it or are unable to relate to it, I get that.

I'm one of those who does not relate to "Drake"... Not much anyhow. There have been a few articles I liked, but that's about it...

Also I usually throw up a little in my mouth whenever I read "Fly Rod & Reel" , so I don't do that anymore.

Fly Tyer is the only one to which I subscribe, and Hatches so far has been great. Once in a while I'll buy "Eastern Fly Fishing" and "American Angler".