Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Taylor B. Hess

Who is the true "Fly Fishing Authority"?

What Fly Magazine(s) is your "Fly Fishing Authority?"  

68 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I read.... A LOT! So I will read any and everything I can get my hands on about fishing of any kind. Since starting fly fishing and tying , I have become voracious in reading every magazine I come across on the subject. My favorite read right now is the "Hatches" magazines put out by our fearless leader and a host of other forum regulars. This may have something to do with the fact I feel like I know a little something about the authors thru the forum, regardless of why , it's a great magazine!

I chose Fly Tyer as a default moreso than any other reason. I use to subscribe to them all (all listed ones that is), but most of the articles seemed to be more about advertising a guide service/lodge/destination/product than about sharing some useful knowledge. The articles also seemed to be very geared towards novice anglers and didn't add to my knowledge as an angler. So, boring advertisments that don't enlighten me to new knowledge are not worth my money or time. The final straw for one of them, can't remember which one now, maybe Flyfisherman, was the inclusion of a salt water section in every issue. I dropped that magazine before all the others as I am totally not interested in saltwater.

There use to be a magazine back in the 80's I loved, called "Flyfishing Quarterly" that was wonderful. Great photography and useful info. All about trout fishing that I can remember (maybe an occasional warmwater article). Don't know why it went under. :-(

These days, I spend equal parts of my reading time on classic fly fishing and tying books and the internet. The newest patterns show up on the net pretty quickly and the actual news that these magazines publish is old news by the time it's published.

I chose Fly Tyer as a default moreso than any other reason. I use to subscribe to them all (all listed ones that is), but most of the articles seemed to be more about advertising a guide service/lodge/destination/product than about sharing some useful knowledge.

:thumbsup: I hear ya loud and clear.

It IS a problem as we get older, and I agree that every time I pick up one of the big name mags and look through it, it seems as if I've read it already somewhere. :coffee:

Only thing that keeps me buying the occasional magazine (other than Fly Tyer and Hatches) is that my wife gets mad at me when I take the laptop for a ride on the thunderbucket. But then, she gets mad at me when there is a pile of magazines and catalogs sitting on the tank, too. Come to think of it, she pretty much just stays mad at me... :hyst: :hyst:

I'm with Kirk D. I used to subscribe to them all but when I saw the same exact fly described in an article twice in less than two years and claimed by different individuals I started to really pay attention to how much ended up being the same drivel. Unfortunately if I even look at most of them at the newstand, I can see everything I want in about two minutes.

I have started to get Fly Tyer lately, it helps when the wife bought me the subscription. I think they have started paying attention to detail again and are coming out with some good issues. The rest of them just seem to be in it for the advertising revenue.