Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
camoham

Chanticleer Fiddle

alright gang, with the finishing of baseball season over...............i had time to tie some new candidates of my favorite fly.

i neglected to put that its a sz 10 hook.

this is my bluegill pattern that gets hammered in my neck of the woods. i dont know what it imitates in the pond..............but it really must look like something thats present there.

i will admit the sunday before last, not a single blue hit it (water temp roasty?). LMB's were! one small................and another larger that broke me off and took my lovely fly. (need to use more than 2lb tippet if the monsters are not going to play nice i guess).

this is the fly ive mentioned on several occasions when you see the posts................."whats your go to bluegill fly".

there! i finally posted it!

as mentioned i use cheap hobby store saddle on this one..............just seems to work. and yes im fully aware that the proportions are not 'text book' sizes..............and purposely so. this is what has worked on my favorite get-away place.

this is always my first fly tyed on...........ive never not had a bite on this one.

i would highly recommend tying this one!

good evening gents.

camoham

nothing wrong with using that craft store hackle. I picked up a bag of it a while back and had some really nice partridge and quail in it and some other feathers I wasn't sure what they were but allot of it was usable and tied quiet nicely.

thx's for another nice gill fly :) gonna try a few of these.

Mike