Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Panfishing-on-the-fly

Beginner fly rod and reel

Well I got my brother into fly fishing and tying and he is know looking for a fly rod and reel he has about $50 to spend and would like between a 4wt-6wt. he like shorter rods but is not that picky. I happened to come across this http://compare.ebay.com/like/300341724724?...4=263602_263632 is it any good? any other suggestions? also what is a good beginner fly line?

Kind of depends on what fish you are targeting.

For Trout and panfish a good all around combination is a 5wt floating line, and a 5 wt 8 1/2' rod. Look at Cabela's combos, they have some pretty reasonable prices. You probably will have to go more than $50, but don't think you've got to drop big bucks for a rod/reel to get into flyfishing. I'd like to have a $1200 bamboo rod and a Hardy reel, but what I have works just fine. shop around and ask questions, you'll get some different answers, but you'll be able to sort them out.

Hope that helps a little. Good luck.

Cabela's has a beginner outfit that should do the trick. The Cahill combo at $49.99 includes a 4 piece rod, line, and a Medalist reel. The reel features an adjustable drag. This should get you started just fine.

I know this is a bit late in coming BUT Academy is SUPPOSEDLY cutting ties with Okuma (according to the local GM) and all of the stores are supposed to be clearancing out all stock on hand

Went in with a friend and he bought 3 9' 5wt Okuma Cascade combos for $17.29 each - even if it is a "cheap" rod the backing, line and, leader in the reel is worth almost that. I bought 2 of them a few years ago in better times at almost 80 bucks each and they were great for me, although one of them now wears a zebco silver bullet trigger release spincast reel i still use the other quite often - especially when im in tight brush on a bank (it hurts a lot less to slap a tree with a low end graphite than to oops an old bamboo)