Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Flytyer14

Deer Hair popper

Flytier 14, looks like a pretty good mouse pattern. My main advice would be to pack the hair as tight as you can, and perhaps stack more hair when you tie something sizable to get a tighter body. No doubt this fly will catch fish. Good luck, and let us know how it fishes.

Tom

As you begin to really pack in the hair, at least at first, you might think about smashing the barb first real well. It will still hurt if your hand slips and you bury the hook in a finger while packing, but it won't hurt as much coming out.

Flytyer, nice fly! There is nothing that says all deer hair bugs must be packed tight as cork. A loosly or medium tight packed head will result is a low riding bug which can often be more effective than a high riding one. I would call this one a slider instead of a popper with the rounded head.

The best floatant for deer hair bugs can be found in the makup remover section of your Walgreens/drug store; its called Albolene. It costs a few bucks but it is a big container and will last years. This stuff will float a ram's wool headed fly. http://www.walgreens.com/store/catalog/Cle...i_sku=sku307192

Very fishy looking fly you have here - good job!

Kirk

thats a really nice and simple pattern. That could imitate allot prey; mouse, fish, big bug, frog, etc.

Personally I wouldnt change it much at all although personally I trim just a little bit more for evenness but not necessary.

Thanks for sharing