Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flyman

gummy minnows

Does anyone have a list of the materials and a video or step by step tutorial for the gummy minnow. It looks like from what I have been able to find you simply make a couple layers with the foil product, then cover it with silly skin? It looks like several different ways and materials are being used in the different information I have been able to find.

If you purchase the Sili Skin from Metz . I t comes with written instructions for tying the gummy minnow. Here is a link to tying the sili shad ,killer shad immitation . http://realisticflytying.net/id21.html

Sili skin is a little pricey. Once you have the pattern you can use less exspensive yet similar products , such as crystal skin and etc. Deer Creek in the UK is now selling their own version of sili skin that has a broader range of thickness and colors.

Fred

you can either use sili skin which you use 3 layers (underbody, spine, and pearl overbody), gummi body with the gummi foil, or crystal skin in layers. As Fred said, there are instructions in the sili skin and it is very expensive. Tip: moisten your finger tips while working with the adhesive backed materials, it helps in the manipulation.

you could probably get the same results using "chewy skin"

http://www.feather-craft.com/wecs.php?stor...mp;target=TJ032

if siliskin is expensive here, its going to cost you even more buying tying materials from the UK sites. keep your money in the USA

problem with chewy is its not adhesive but almost identical to sili skin in the pearlyness, WAAAAYYYYYY cheaper, and tons of cool colors. I love it for my nymphs B)

problem with chewy is its not adhesive but almost identical to sili skin in the pearlyness, WAAAAYYYYYY cheaper, and tons of cool colors. I love it for my nymphs B)

a creative tyer will substitute an adhesive to make something similar to siliskin

a creative tyer will substitute an adhesive to make something similar to siliskin

I understand that FT just telling him the differences.