Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Pelhament

Slabba the Hut

Nice fly Pel,

Have you ever tried 30 pound braided spiderline instead f wire for the connection?

Yeah, I have tried about everything. I actually tied a few more with dacron instead of the wire. The wire I use is very thin and has nearly same movement as fireline but it guarantees that the hook will always be point down.

Nice fly Pel,

Have you ever tried 30 pound braided spiderline instead f wire for the connection?

Yeah, I have tried about everything. I actually tied a few more with dacron instead of the wire. The wire I use is very thin and has nearly same movement as fireline but it guarantees that the hook will always be point down.

aha! But why point down? due to the fur? I tye my articky's point up so I can dredge the bottom with em.

Yeah, the fur was all up in the hook's business so I though I'd try it down. Normally I only use the beading wire on my steelhead flies like intruders and what not. I think I am going to stick with the dacron for these trout/bass (for you day5) flies. After a pretty long conversation on another forum I think I am going to stick to a single sized 2 streamer hook for future ties though.

I got a pretty good explanation of how trout hit properly fished streamers and having a hook way in the back may be a little counterintuitive. So I am going to start tying them like I would for bass with the hook more towards the front/middle of the fly. Where as if you are swinging flies, having the hook all they way in the back makes more sense.

Yeah, the fur was all up in the hook's business so I though I'd try it down. Normally I only use the beading wire on my steelhead flies like intruders and what not. I think I am going to stick with the dacron for these trout/bass (for you day5) flies. After a pretty long conversation on another forum I think I am going to stick to a single sized 2 streamer hook for future ties though.

I got a pretty good explanation of how trout hit properly fished streamers and having a hook way in the back may be a little counterintuitive. So I am going to start tying them like I would for bass with the hook more towards the front/middle of the fly. Where as if you are swinging flies, having the hook all they way in the back makes more sense.

care to share the convo discussing trout strikes on streamers?

Basically it boiled down to trout hit baitfish from the side to stun them, then swallow them head first. If you are swinging down and across then the hook in the back is good, but if you are casting upstream and stripping back to you, you aren't going to get as many hookups with a stinger hook, since the fish are going to hit it from the side or front. I can go into more detail tomorrow, if you'd like.

Basically it boiled down to trout hit baitfish from the side to stun them, then swallow them head first. If you are swinging down and across then the hook in the back is good, but if you are casting upstream and stripping back to you, you aren't going to get as many hookups with a stinger hook, since the fish are going to hit it from the side or front. I can go into more detail tomorrow, if you'd like.

None needed bro. I've had the similar thoughts on the subject, only was thinkin they swallowed the stunned fish tail first, but head first makes more sense, that way a sculpins little spine wouldn't interfere with the swallowing mechanism. is there a link to more of said discussion so I can read all the POV's?

i like a short large gap hook in front by the head/eyes with a stinger hook in back but two hooks arent allowed everywhere

most my fish are stuck on the front hook i strip broadside across the current