Fly Tying
Robert M

Whats your favorite thread for spinning or stacking deer hair?

Whats your favorite thread for spinning or stacking deer hair?

I really don't like the stuff I have been using and need to try some other types any suggestions?

Also does any one put down rod wrapping thread as a base before tying hair bugs?

I use GSP as well.....I don't put down a base....after I compress each clump, I put 2 wraps of thread on the hook then lay the next clump, spin, and then pack it in tight....

Mike

Danville's flat waxed nylon. Been using it for many, many years. Tried the GSP, strong stuff, but it was too slippery for me, so I stick with the flat waxed nylon.

The only base I add is for whatever I tie in as a tail, otherwise, I do the same as MIKE*A. :)

I need to try GSP, but just haven't gotten any yet. Otherwise I'll either use Uni 6/0 or kevlar (just don't pull too tight), but have done it with Uni 8/0 on Irresistables. Uni if I'm doing Muddlers or something of the like. I'll jump to kevlar for the big bass poppers/divers.

Deeky

For large flies (mice, bass bugs) I use Uni's Big Fly thread. For smaller flies (Irresistibles, McDougals,...) I use UTC GSP or Uni 6/0.

I need to try GSP I guess. :rolleyes:

I have heard that you can use some of the "super braids" as a deer hair thread also anyone have any experience using them?

I'm using flat waxed nylon and don't like the results I got, may be because of its age but I didn't think much of it this time around.

While I am on the subject what are you guys using to pack the hair on the hook.

The nails of my thumb and first two fingers.

And I usually wrap a single layer of thread on the hook shank before tying hair on for spinning or stacking. This prevents the hair body from rotating.

I need to try GSP I guess. :rolleyes:

I have heard that you can use some of the "super braids" as a deer hair thread also anyone have any experience using them?

I'm using flat waxed nylon and don't like the results I got, may be because of its age but I didn't think much of it this time around.

I use flat waxed nylon often while tying bass bugs, it works fine for me. For smaller deer hair projects Danville Waxed FlyMaster +Plus is my thread of choice.

Danville's flat waxed nylon. Been using it for many, many years. Tried the GSP, strong stuff, but it was too slippery for me, so I stick with the flat waxed nylon.

The only base I add is for whatever I tie in as a tail, otherwise, I do the same as MIKE*A. :)

I'm with Tidewaterfly - Danville's flat waxed nylon. Works great for me. For bigger stuff, I put a half hitch between each clump and compress with a Brassie hair stacker. For saltwater stuff that's going to be abused I might even add a "smudge" of cement to the shank before each clump.

I have been involved with our club's fly tying courses for nearly 13 years now, and in charge of them for the past 6. To ensure that everyone has all of the requisite materials for the classes (there are 10 2-hour classes in both the beginners and the Intermediate courses), and which includes three 2-hour classes on spinning and stacking deer hair, we put together materials kits that we sell to the students at club cost. We have always put Danville Flat Waxed Thread in these kits for use with deer hair, and everyone has been satisfied. Both of our two deer hair instructors use this, and one tied commercially with it for several years. It is what I have personally always used, and have no reason to change.

Typically, I will use Danville 3/0 for tying in all tail materials, whip finish and cut off. I then attach the Flat Waxed to start the deer hair. After I pack the bunch ( I use my thumbnails, as I feel I have much better control of things and can readily tell when it has been packed as much as possible) I take three or four tight wraps as tight against the front of bunch as possible and then open-spiral 2-3 wraps about 1/4" up the hook for tying on my next bunch. Keep repeating this sequence until you are just behind the hook eye, and tie off.

Note: ALL tail materials are tied directly on top of each other! DO NOT advance the thread from the anterior-most wrap that you tied the first tailing material in with! The most common mistake most beginners make is to slightly advance each tailing material to slightly in front of the preceeding material and before they know it, they have used up half, or more, of the hook for the tail materials; leaving no room for the deer hair. Yes, in class, we make them unwrap everything and go back to square #1!

I do not use a thread base for stacking and spinning, though you can if you prefer. Be forewarned, there are those who will adamantly tell you that you cannot spin deer hair on top of a thread base. Maybe THEY can't; but I bet you a dozen flies YOU can! If you can't, you have no business messing with deer hair!! (That's what I tell the naysayers!)

Cheers,

perchjerker