Fly Tying
B.C.TroutHunter

How Long Have You Been Tying?

How Long Have You Been Tying?  

967 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've been tying for 15 years, tied mostly trout and salmon patterns. I only fish for trout now, so now I only tie trout flies. I have become interested in rod building the last few years, so I only tie what I need now.

When I was born, my father was tying professionally. By the time I was 5 or 6 I was tying some rudimentary "flys" on hooks that he would snip the points off of for safety.

In 4th grade I tied a Black Ghost streamer for a school talent contest. Man, what a bore that must have been for the audience!

I have been tying ever since. (I'm 26) Over the past year or so I hair gotton more and more into the classic hairwing and spey genres slowing tip toeing into the full dress salmon world.

~James

Does everyone remember HERTERS. For me tying flies started 34 years ago. Still have a lot of Herters materials and rods. Heck, my vest is from Herters!

Gaddabout Gaddis was my hero!! Either right after or before American Sportsman with Curt Goudy.

I have been tying for 2 years and I'm learning as I go along. I take a sense of pride everytime I catch a fish on a fly that I tied- It's just a wonderful feeling.

Twenty-nine years. I started tying flies not long after I got married. My wife's mom rekindled my interest in fishing, and the rest has been history...

John

I started tying about 12 years ago. A buddy of mine got me into it and since then I have never purchased a fly from a fly shop other than to copy the pattern (shop flies fall apart too easy). I have always been into the standard wet and dry trout flies and some bass flies. I'm just now trying to learn how to tie full dress flies. Though in the past I never got into anything too complicated, just the easy stuff and what worked for me.

Ashby

I have been tying for 42 years after watching John Veniard at a show demonstrate fly tying, I stood there for hours mesmerized and at the end of the demo he looked at me and said.........."your interested right"?

I was for sure, John began to clear up his table and lent over to me with a handfull of packs of materials.

That was it for me I was hooked. I still have some of those packs that he gave me and since that day have met with John many times when he has autographed his books for me. :yahoo:

Been tying about 18 years now, used to tie just warm water flies. But learned about trout fishing up in N.E. Iowa about 8 or 9 years ago and started tying trout flie too.

Hmm i voted in this poll a long time ago but never added a reply with any detail.

I tied for 2 years in Jr High, i am not 36. Then i stopped tying until late 2001 when i started a new job where my boss was a fly tyer.

I jumped back in head first and have been going strong ever since

I started tying when I was 11 or 12 which would make me a 36 year tier give or take a year. I tie flies for trout mostly, especially for picky tailwaters like the Farmington River in CT. I prefer to tie and fish dry flies but do tie and fish others as needed. Come on Hendricksons!!!

Hot Tuna

Christmas 2002...I got a L.L. Bean Beginners Fly Tying Book. Tied my first fly March 23, 2003. I've been hooked ever since! SullyTM

i have been tying for the past 10 years on and off. never really tied anything impressive.this past year i have gotten serius about tying. been tying a lot of flies that catch the fish in my area

I think it was my freshman year that I got my vice and some stuff for Christmas. Spent lunches that year reading all the back issues of Field & Stream (especially ted Trueblood) and Outdoor Life. Had a couple breaks here and there though. Military, females, etc. Just started the classic flies this year.

Didn't realize what an antique I've become. Started tying when I was ten. Sixty second birthday coming up. My dad attended lessons at a local sporting goods store, came home and showed me what he'd learned. Still have a few materials from that era...in cellophane envelopes. I remember that Dad bought an expensive vise, a Thompsen Model A, for $4.95...it still works fine (but a few years ago I switched to a Regal).

What a great hobby, constantly growing and evolving. Hope to stay at it for many more years.