Fly Tying
B.C.TroutHunter

How Long Have You Been Tying?

How Long Have You Been Tying?  

967 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Started about 35 years ago. Didn't tie much the last 3 or 4 years before I retired due to a mostly 8-16 hour work days. Trying to crank it back up again. Tied only for my self. Self taught. Learned all my own bad habits by myself.

I havent done much fly tying but I tie jigs. I have tied up a wolly bugger and an adams fly. I dont really fly fish all that much either which I regret! :frusty:

I marked 10-15 years but I havent spent the entire time tying during those years. I usually go in stretches were I tie a lot and then at times not at all. I am self taught which means I am limited as to what I tie and I have a lot of bad habits. I would love to tie more but work and school coupled with my other hobbies get in the way.

I've been tying for about 4 months total now.

I started a few years ago (6 approx.) and had just started to learn the basics.

Health issues and later on work, kept me from pursuing tying. So I boxed it all up.

I just started again a few weeks ago.

Have to say I missed it. It's very relaxing and a great distraction.

Once I figure out how to take photos (I have read all the related threads on taking pictures) I'll post some of my ties.

Started messin' around with Tying Feathers and yarns onto hooks when i was 12 years young.. I am now 46 years young and that makes it 34 years of Tying..

Originally tyed nothing but Trout Flies, got into Bluegill & Bass and so forced myself to learn Spinning Deerhair (Which turned out to vastly improve my overall tying). Got into Steelhead and Pacific Salmon, so tyed lots of those as well. Became a Commercial tyer when i was 20 and stopped doing it when i was 35, it turned into work and that was enough... I then did strictly Private orders for years but stopped that in 2005 because of serious Buttheads.. it became work as well, so no longer any fun...

I've gotten hardcore into Saltwater flyfishing within the past 15 years and this year it has been 90% of what I've been fishing, so I've been tying Lotsa Saltwater patterns for Baja, the Local Surf & Open ocean Flyfishing around Los Angeles... :headbang:

I still tye plenty of trout Patterns, and will soon switch to restocking some trout patterns as with the cooler weather around Southern California and the Sierra Nevada, I'll be venturing forth to target Trout again this Fall... if the Bonito & yellowtail off the Coast shut down, that is... ;)

DEAN ~~~ B) B)

I started tying about a year ago. I got really into it and was tying daily until my wife hit about the 7th month of her pregnancy. My son was born in February and now that he is a little older and sleeping a whole lot better I've been able to get back into again. I am also joining a local fly fishing club that has a monthly tying night. Between all of the great tips I have been getting here and the in person direction and feedback I will be getting with the club I am hoping my tying will improve over the winter. :D

The first flies I tied were on safety pins for frogs and that was in 1947. I graduated to fishing flies about 1949 and would tie anything on a hook and panfish and bass would take it. I used my hands as my first vice and I can still tie very small flies like this. All my first tools were home made and then in the early 50's I was introduced to the Herter's catalog and began ordering many things from that fine company. I still have some of my early order forms where I paid only a few cents for a bodkin and a little over two dollars for a jungle cock neck...how times change. I have tied and taught all aspects of fly fishing/tying all my life and never tire of it. It is truely a very unique sport/art. I will fly fish for anything, anywhere and just about have. Being retired now in Michigan, there is a never ending amount of water and species to fish for any month of the year. If you do anything with your talents in your life...share it with a kid!

I started in my teens in the 80's, so I marked 15-20. I have not been tying for all of that time, off and on mostly. I have taught myself everything I know about fly tying and fishing.

Since 1993...........started fly fishing in 1989 and of course i said oh i'll just buy my flies.........YEAH RIGHT! :hyst: mark B)

I tied my first fly when I was ten years old. I didn't have a proper vise or very many supplies but I was determined. I continued to tie flies up until I joined the Army in 1984 and hadn't tied one until June of this year. That's a pretty long hiatus but after a few days it all started to come back to me. Now I feel like I didn't stop at all.