Fly Tying
B.C.TroutHunter

How Long Have You Been Tying?

How Long Have You Been Tying?  

967 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

less than a year here. Started because I was tired of paying for what seemed to be such an easy fly to tie....

In retrospect, my wallet suffered more from learning to tie than if I bought a dozen of this fly each time I went out. :crying:

I tied my first fly by hand no stick no tools some time in the end of April last year, after seeing a film about fly fishing. At that time i never tryed flyfishing. Now days i tie nearly every day and i started flyfishing this spring all by my self. This summer i got my Orvis T3, which is the Love of my life.

Here you can see my First Fly ever.

post-11348-1225296094_thumb.jpg

Hello all- I have been tying for about a month and have added over 60 flies to my weak store-bought collection. I fish mostly for Browns, and plan to hit Lake Erie tribs this month for Steelhead. The people in here have been a GREAT resource and have kept my enthusiasm strong! Thanks all!

Shawn :yahoo:

4 years for me. I wish I would have started earlier in life because I last year I inherited a 60+ year FLY FISHING/TYING collection.

The collection is so incredible I almost can't be in the same room as it because it completely overwhelms me.

Maybe I'll post a video on hook.tv sometime so you guys can see it.

Anyhow, I'm in it for life cause I do love it.

About 23 years for me, I actually learnt to tie before I even owned a fly rod, I've always been around fishing and hunting from when I was born. I new my uncle flyfished and so when a tying class was offered as an activity in high school, I thought I'd give it a go, so thousands odf dollars and flies later I still love it, I even do a bit of small scale profesional tying.

I thought I had added a reply last year, but I didn't find it, so here goes. I first discovered my dads fly tying stuff in 1955. He had a bunch of feathers and hair that looked like they were for tying up bass and shad flies. There was also a Herters Catalog. He must have given me some kind of instruction, but I don't remember much. I do remember making floatant by melting parafin wax into something like naptha or cleaning fluid and dipping flies into that. I tied up some pretty weird stuff back then, don't have any of those flies, but I still tie up some pretty weird stuff now and then.

I started tying in earnest in 1965 after spending my first summer working in Jackson Hole and buying flies. They were all of .50 back then. My only instructions were from the Wise Fisherman's Encyclopedia. By the next summer, I was tying all of my own flies, and selling flies to my co-workers. I got a book on Flies (Leonards,) the next summer for my birthday. I still have that book, and about 130 more. I have been tying steadily since, so that makes over 50 years, but really 48 steady years of tying.

I started at Christmas time in 1964. I still have some feathers left over from my original kit (chartreuse guinea fowl) that I never could figure out what to do with.

Bob

Ive been tying since i was six but just got seriously started tying about 2 years ago. When i was younger i just played around with hooks and thread and had no clue what i was doing