Fly Tying
B.C.TroutHunter

How Long Have You Been Tying?

How Long Have You Been Tying?  

967 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have tied 1 fly to date and I am still trying to figure out what it is. wallbash.gif It started as a woolly bugger and ended up somewhere between an adams and a zugbug. I will be busy this winter. My goal is to catch something with my own fly. Other than a tree or bluegill. Either will hit on anything.

I've been tying for about 12 years. Really spent a lot of time tying about 4-6 years ago filling a couple dozen fly boxes with thousands of flies, wets and dries, and now I tie just enough to keep them full.

Started last Christmas with an Orvis kit my folks gave me! I tied up about 10 dozen flies. Used about 1 dozen this summer. I'd like to get better, and I think this will be the winter for it!

This site has been instrumental, along with FAOL. Thanks!

I've been tying since I was about 9 or 10, over 30 years. Got a cheep fly tying kit for a birthday. I didn’t start fly fishing until I was in my early 20’s. Now my workshop is known as the fly shop. I have more materials than most fly shops.

One of my biggest nightmares is having the house burn down with all my fly tying crap in it. eek.gif

Charlie.

Just about 20 years now...nd i'm finally getting passable at it...still keep some of my first flies around to remind me how NOT to do certain things....

Mark Delaney

I started tying when I was 6 or seven and now i'm 28. Started out with trout flies and got into steelhead fly fishing & flies 10 yrs ago. Now i'm gathering materials and tying spey flies, dee flies, atlantic salmon full dress and hair wing patterns.

Chip

I started when I was about 11 out of necessity (couldn't afford flies) and had my uncles old steelhead fly rod I wanted to use. So took scraps off my Dad's animal hides and raided my Mom's crafts, and have been tying ever since (and got my butt blistered a few times when I went a bit OVERBOARD cutting Dad's hides lol). So, have almost 24 years tying in now. Been a non stop tyer. In fact, think I've done as much tying for "gear guys" over the years as I have actual flies. Back then, we used (and still are being used) coho flies for trolling with terminal tackle. Then the jig craze came. So spend alot of time tying that stuff up.

I started a few years ago when my grandpa showed me how to tie and let me use a bunch of his stuff. i tied about 2 flys each year since and this year i started tying to try and fill my fly boxes. i put myself in the 2-5 year category. oh! and i mostly tie just to tie flies. i get to go fishing maybe three or four times a year, so tying is really just a hobby for me.

Josh

Well it has been about a year now and still need alot more time under my belt Hopefully i will continue this crazyhabit as it has become for many more years.

tt

10 or 12 years. I resisted tying for a LONG time for reasons I don't know. If only I knew how much money I could have saved by tying my own in all that time! blink.gif