Fly Tying
B.C.TroutHunter

How Long Have You Been Tying?

How Long Have You Been Tying?  

967 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was given an old Night stand that my father converted into a small fly tying cabinet complete with an home made vice on March 14,1956, my eleventh birthday. Yep we both share a birthday with Albert Einstein. I had tied a little prior to then but it became an obsession after that time. The Herters catalog was the only source that I knew about for many years. I had a period of time that I quit fishing but I still tied flies nearly every night after work as it had become my way of unwinding. The resources available today are far beyond anything I could have ever dreamed of back then. I remember how thrilled I was when I found Issac Waltens " The Complete Angler" in our public library. I actually read the whole book.

I moved to Canada in 2005. In 2006 I married my wife (3-4 months after arriving here), shortly after I borrowed an old kit from a friend of hers. Because I hated ice fishing, and as a Floridian I fished daily, I had to find something fish related to do during the "off" season. This was my choice. I find I actually enjoy tying as much or more than actually fishing...maybe when I learn a little more about fly fishing that will change...All that said to say...about 5 years now and still learning and still LOVIN" IT! :lol:

Since 71'. I'll let you do the math lest I feel old. :ph34r:

Some periods were head down, feather flying, arm flailing, don't-bother-me-wife intense. Some periods the material boxes sat in the attic as other aspects of life got in the way... then the itch reared it's head yet again.

The feathers, thread, and vise must complete some kind of weird germinating seed when they occupy space on a bench. While inactive they cause an "itch" that cannot be ignored for long. B)

Just under 30 years, but unfortunately, quite infrequently the past decade, so I am now relearning my skill-set and getting in some intense practise.

It's been about 2 years. I started tying jigs after watching some steelhead jig fishing on youtube. Then found and fly rod from my youth rebuilt it and had to have flies. Had some tools form a mess of stuff I got off e-bay, bought some hooks and have spent a lot of my limited spare time building rods and tying flies.

It's how I get away from all the stress of every day life. I sell some of my jigs and flies to a small store on the river I fish on.

My dream is to have a small fishing shop on that river when I retire.

I guess that means I won't retire! huh.gif

I am busy with fly tying for almost 40 years. Started first with fly tying and a few years later also fly fishing.

I stated tying in my early teens my first fly was a Thor which is kinda funny because I live in Colorado. I caught a Bluegill on that fly and was hooked from then on. I'm new to this Forum also member of the Classic Salmon forum. I like this forum alot.

Michael

I've been at it for around 15 years already. I started off with a Cabela's kit my grandpa got for me on my birthday.

About 30 years. Interestingly, raising a daughter the last 10 years the problem has not been tying (I can do that in the evening) but fishing. She likes fishing now, but but for years all I did was tie. I have probably one of the best stocked fly vests on the planet. Now I need to get out there and snag them in trees...

I started tying in 1974 when a friend gave me a starter kit. He told me that he couldn't get the hang of it so I gave it a try. The materials and tools in the kit were horrible and I could see why he was having problems. I looked into some materials at Orvis and Cabela's (through their catalog). When I got better tools and materials from them it became fun to do and I have continued since. My first fly tying book was Jack Dennis Western Trout Fly Tying Manual. I still have it after all these years. Learning to tie today is much easier than it was back then. Youtube and sites like this have so much information, learning is easy. It has been and always will be a rewarding and relaxing hobby. :)

Only started tying about 2 weeks ago. As a professional rod builder, a lot of clients wondered why I didn't tie, and urged me. So far, I am intriqued by it, but since I just started, only time will tell

First of all, I wish all of you a brilliant God blessed new year 2012. :D

I tie my flies for about 40 years. Always with lots of pleasure. Have tied all kinds of flies. Did have my own tying schools with passing the years and bit by bit I can say: there are lots of flies who catch fish and there are many kind of flies whom catch fisherman (and woman)...

Tight lines, :rolleyes:

Peter