Fly Tying
B.C.TroutHunter

How Long Have You Been Tying?

How Long Have You Been Tying?  

967 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Been fly fishing 45 years but only tying the last 24 years. Too busy the first 21 years with military, college, women, sports cars, work and business travel, did I mention women ?. In 1979 was took a corporate transfer to South Bend, Indiana started Michigan steelhead, trout, and salmon fly fishing in earnest. Started tieing in 1980.

Bought a steelhead tying kit from Kaufmans and the first T. Coombs book Steelhead Fly Fishing. There were on good fly tying books, videos, and of course no internet. Not even many fly tying classes except at TU meetings. Had to self teach self from FF magazines in the 80s.

Now tie mainly steelhead, salmon, and trout patterns. Lately been moving into bass, pike and musky flys.

The fun never ends in this hobby or the horror of it all. LOL

biggrin.gif

BG

2.5 years though the first year I didn't really tie much. I picked up an Orvis fly tying kit at a local fly shop about the same time I picked up my first fly rod. I always liked to fish and figured I'd give fly fishing a try. Haven't gone back.

This will be my 3rd winter. I got a cheap kit for fathers day, realized the vice was not gonna cut it, my lovely wife got me a Renzetti that Christmas.

Last winter, I managed to stock my boxes pretty well. Then promply lost my vest in the spring. Thanks to the generosity of the members of this sight and another, this summer was "flies only" for me.

Bench time has been hard to come by, but I have managed to whip out some globugs and hairwings to feed to the Salmon this fall.

This winter I will concentrate on filling my boxes for next year. LaFontaines patterns will my first choices!

Never saw a fishing fly till I met Roy.

He invited me to his bedroom, to look at his flies, I was not disappointed, but he had me hooked from then.

He taught me to tie, which I did for a about 3 months, in 2001, then I was unable to get to the tying bench. Which was under our bed, so I would lie on top of him (so to speak) while he tied under the bed.

I have only got back to tying this last month/6 weeks.

J

Roy, don't fib, you are 51, going on 12.

dry.gif

Hey gang,

Tied my first "Zug Bug" my 3rd year of High School 1973. Was a member of "Shamrock Springs" trout fishing club in Caledon Ontario. The most beautiful spring fed ponds and creek you ever saw...I think it's a Residential Subdivision now or something. Thanks a whole bunch for reminding me %$!!*

I hope you slip on mud and fill your waders...grin!

Tight loop anyways!

Henry

i have been tying since the summer of 97, so thats about seven years. i spend alot of time tying these days mostly trout stuff but a little salt water and started tying steelhead and salmon(pacific) about two years ago.

I figure I have been tying for about 6 or 7 years. My son wanted to try flyfishing in his teens and we got involved with trout fishing and joined a local TU chapter. We got an inexpensive kit and went from there. We have added a lot of materials and a few tools but basically still the same ol' thing. Have three or four boxes of flies with some that were just my vivid imagination that I will try sometime. I have narrowed the main patterns down to about 6 or 8 in different sizes. The problem is getting the time to fish what I have tied. So much water, so little time! wink.gif

I tie for both trout and bass. Anything from a griffiths gnat to a bass popper to a Elk Hair Caddis to a Lefty's deceiver. I love tying period. Have been doing for about a year. Love it!

I have been tying fies since I was a child.

When I was a teenager,I got into everything else and forgot about tying for a while.

When I was 21,I was not allowed to dig worms,on an Organic Herb farm,where I lived.

I wanted to fish so I fashioned my own tools and vice and made a few flies.I even made a box for some extra X-MAS cash,with them.

After that I spent some time in jail,and after so many crazy"going on's".

I decided that fly tying was going to ocupy my time and keep me out of trouble.

So far so good! headbang.gif

I started 16 years ago. They say it is cheaper tying your own flies. I'm teaching my 5 year old twins. Trying to pass it on.

OK I am old and don't want to admit how old I am I guess. it has been 51 years started when I was 5 my grandfather had me working on parts of fly until I got them right. The only years I didn't tye where the 3 I was in Vietnam.(was a little busy)

David

Started fly fishing in earnest when I was 31 and began to tie two years later. I can't believe I've been tying for 16 years: still haven't gotten it right. Time surely flies when you're having fun (pun probably intended).

John