Fly Tying
B.C.TroutHunter

How Long Have You Been Tying?

How Long Have You Been Tying?  

967 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've been tying for about 5 years. I told myself I would never get into fly tying but I decided to take a class at the local high school and I couldn't get enough. Then the company I work for struck a deal with Orvis and we received a discount so the spending spree started. I found a great fly tying shop locally and never miss the Fly tying show when it is in town. Jay "Fishy" Fullum once told me, "If you enjoy tying that is all that matters. You are part of the family."

I am glad I found this site. There is tremendous talent here.

I started Tying September the 5 2004. I whent into a store and inquired about making spinnerbaits and

muskie lures. the store is Skevy's outdoor specialities the owner Ron brought me to his work shop and

interested me to tying. so as I made the lures I was learning to Ty flies even though I didnt realize it at first.

after about 2 to 3 months of making lures and taking them to the store to be judged I was improving at this

to quite well. so I had some request of making flies for customers. so I said i would give it a try.

well when making for customers you try to make them perfect. so it was a learning experience that I would

never for get. Now I have two stores I sell Flies to and I Love doing it.

tyrite (Glen Dayton)

Hello all!

I've been tying flies for a year and five months.

I'm really glad I found this site, because observing different kinds of forums apparently supports my hobby.

I started tying the summer before 7th grade. So about 3 years. But it seems like I just started :) .

I learned how to fly fish and tie flies when I was 12 (30 years ago), but followed many other pursuits shortly thereafter so that didn't really count. Learned again about 8 years ago. Caught my first bow on the Skagit River, BC on an Adams that I tied (really badly), and I've been tying ever since.

My life was turned up side down when hurricane Rita hit three years ago . I started tying sometime after most of the rebuilding but could tell you for sure . Glad I found this forum great bunch of people and I have learned a great deal.

I have been tying for about 20 years, started with bass bugs then trout dries and nymphs and have recently been tying speys and dees.

I've been tying for approximately 3yrs. now. I enjoy it immensely when I can find a spare moment; outside of family, friends and W_ _K. Thank God for holidays and vacations so that I can keep in practice for my hopeful future profession as flytier/flyfisher in my retirement :yahoo: (a decade or so down the road :crying: ); especially with the helpful resources and support of a FORUM such as this.

I Fly-tie for the relaxation; Flyfish for the freedom; Cast to the challenge; Land if I'm so blessed and Release to re-live it ALL :rolleyes: !