Fly Tying
B.C.TroutHunter

How Long Have You Been Tying?

How Long Have You Been Tying?  

967 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 years for me. been tying since I was 12 and I am 20 now. I am addicted, I love the hobby which has turned into a passion and the sport of it all. hopefully i'll reach the 56+ range if I am very lucky ;)

I started tying flies in the seventh grade, around 2001, so about 12 years now. Started with basic trout patterns, but quickly evolved into bass, panfish, pike, muskie, saltwater and steelhead patterns...then about two years ago, I took the plunge into classic wet flies and full-dress salmon flies. Still improving in that area, and they're far from perfect, but I prefer to fish over tying flies, so I only really get any practice in the off-season, after all my boxes are filled (no small feat when you realize that I own 50+ fly boxes thanks to my desire to fish for everything that swims)...I hope to eventually fill a pair of 18x20 shadow boxes with these, but that may be a while.

Its only been two months for me, but man I have learned so much in those months thanks to this site..... thanks all and hope to continually learn over the next few months....

I got my start in 1951 (14 years old) when Dan Bailey stopped giving his commercial rejects to kids for free. He began charging a nickel, which my brother and I thought outrageous. Dan showed me how to tie a grey hackle peacock and I have been tying ever since - now 62 years. Mostly trout and steelhead flies though I have been tying classic Atlantics now for about 10 years. Still going strong!

I started during the fly fishing season 1976, in Tierra del Fuego, Patagonia... and still doing it! Cheers!

20 years if I count the years as a teen when my dad got me into it, but those were pretty pathetic renditions. Still, I learned fundamentals.

Came back to it in 2000, started producing commercially in 2004, mostly bass poppers and streamers, shad flies, and bugger-style trout flies.

What I like to do is pick a new pattern and fish it until I catch a fish. I don't care about the best fly for the current conditions, I want to develop some confidence in my tie. It's a fun game.

To a previous poster's point, I am getting into doing some fancy stuff for the heck of it. There's a popular streamer for char in Iceland I'm going to tie next. I may try it on local trout, but it's very colorful, designed for salt-run fish. Still, I'll give it a try and see ...

This is just a lot of fun!