Fly Tying
B.C.TroutHunter

How Long Have You Been Tying?

How Long Have You Been Tying?  

967 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

About January or February 2005,so it-s been allmost a year of limited fun. I had many exams and didn't get to tie as much as i wanted to :( This year seems to be allmost the same, and my only hope is summer vacation :( + some loooong winter nights :D

Aww, let me think... It's been so long since i started.. Can't remeber :wallbash:

Oh yeah, now i got it - about 2 and a half years :shifty: :D

About 6 or 7 years. Started with Dick Talleur's "Basic Fly Tying" and went from there. I built an oak tying box, filled that up. Built a desk-bookcase unit in oak for my office...starting to fill that up. Got more feathers than a henhouse....

Of course the last few years my "hackle" is getting a bit grizzly, and I need to wear "cheaters" to tie or tie on a size 16 or smaller....must be they're making them smaller thse days...

Hi Fellows, I have been tying about 20 yrs,,,,This topic reminds me of a little story...Earlier in my Fly tying Career people Used to ask how long I had been tying. I would tell them 4 or 5 yrs,,,,, and then I would fell a little bad because I felt like a Rookie......Now people ask me how long I have been tying and i would will tell them 20 yrs.......and now I feel like I am getting to be an old man....LOL Theres no winning .....So just keep tying and don't Look back.....

FlySlinger

I started tying in 1975. I took a 30 year hiatus to raise a family, get cancer and retire from work. I just started back last year after lung surgery. I like tying streamers, wooly buggers and nymphs as I live in Southern California and most of my fishing is on man-made lakes with only a couple of small streams in the area.

I'm into my 28th year last October. Started at the age of 10 by repairing a shop bought fly in a mini bench vice with cotton from my mums sewing basket. The fly still caught fish! So I thought 'this is easy', 28 years later and a good few hundred quid later I still love it.

I started tying on Christmas Day, 1965, at the age of ten. Have taken some time off along the way at various junctures, but am back at it today with the same enthusiasm that gripped me when I opened that first kit my parents gave me. Damn, this is fun!

-- Bill

I guess about 30 years or so. Includes a couple of years of no tying due to unavoidable interuptions. Have had other hobbies/sports (Ham Radio op for 40+ years), but tying has always been there.

I started fly tying when i got a fly tying kit when i was 6 or7 and lost intrest fast [NOT IN FISHING] then I found the kit at my mothers last year i`m 27 now been tying for a little over a year now Mostly tie trout patterns and just mess around

I've been tyng flies off and on for 40 years, and still struggle . I bought a lot of my first materials from Herters, and like many others my stack of fly tying material keeps getting bigger. Great pastime!!

Have a good one

Pat Carroll

been tying for about a year(off/on during steelie season), I hope to be able to look back at this post in a few years and laugh at all those crappy flies I tied when I started...and maybe I'll get one of those Fancy awards under my avatar!!! :)