Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

JIM BEAM ON FIRE...NO!!!!!!!!!&#33

On Monday, Aug 4, a severe storm with heavy thunder and lightning may have sparked the fire at a Jim Beam warehouse in Bardstown, KY. It is estimated that more that 800,000 gallons...that's right GALLONS....were stored in the metal seven story building. Earthen dams have been built around the distillery property to try to contain any alcohol from directly entering local streams, pricipally, Rolling Fork. A few years ago, a fire at the Wild Turkey Distillery, dumped more than 200,000 gallons of Ky's finest bourbon into the Kentucky River, killing more than a quarter of a million fish. In 1996, the Heaven Hill distillery burned, destroying more than 2% of the world's...that's right, the WORLD'S, supply of bourbon. EPA and local emergency management teams will be on site at the burn to monitor the situtation, but any long term environmental impact, especially to the local ecology, may not be known for some time. The area's drinking water is safe. The fire is expected to burn foir several days.

Just heard tonight that the impact may be minimal. i think the main concern is not so much containment of the spillage as most has burned or evaporated from the heat, but the leaching into ground water. It will be a while before they pros know anything definite.

800,000 gallons of booze drained into a pond!

Man, I'll bet they'll be a bunch of drowning in that town soon! blink.gif

Wade in up to their nose, stand there 'n grin biggrin.gif

I guess you have to be old enough to remember Archie Campbell! rolleyes.gif