Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
yeoldkiller

help

i need help on how to fly fish muddy water and some fly ideas for muddy water cause the creek around here has been muddy non stop for the past week

I don't want to start any arguments. But I though you would want dark colored flies because they cast a bigger profile in the water. Also i would say big, loud, and dark. Put rattles and propellers on your flies.

Guest rich mc

my go to fly for muddy water is black, but it also needs to be bushy so it can push water.a black bugger with a few legs and double wrap the hackle[ use two feathers instead of one] rich mc

Warm Muddy water - Fox Statler Lesson says - Flash Color should be gold, Primary color should be Black and secondary color Chartreuse. Never found Fox to be wrong! It's all about contrast gang.

If it's real muddy, I think I'll be throwing a big black spinnerbait with Colorado blades or a big black Rat L Trap. :whistle:

When this question is asked of the bass guys who use lures, some say bright colors, while others say dark. Both will work. I've had more success with black, but dark seems to work better if the sky is over cast, while bright, like orange or chartreuse seems to work better for me when the sun has come out & is nice & bright.

I've caught bass in muddy water on basic baitfish colors & all white too, so there really are no hard & fast rules. If they can find it, they'll eat it. :thumbsup:

I think vibration (noise & pushing water) is more important than color at a distance, even just a few feet, then the color just helps them close in on the fly or lure. Poppers will often work in muddy water, but a popper with a rattle in it, thrown on a sinking line may work better. Get it below the surface & make some noise with it. I've even added split shot a few inches ahead of a popper to get them down, although I prefer not to use split shot.

It will push a lot of water, the rattle will make noise & depending on how hard & fast you retrieve it, you can create a very pronounced bubble trail. If it has a heavily dressed tail, plus flash, that's even better. Think in terms of trolling lures used for big game fish, but on a smaller scale! :rolleyes:

I also like gold flashabou for muddy water, plus have had good luck with copper, bronze, & black flashabou. :)