Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Taylor B. Hess

Cannot Resist...

I've been tying these hairwings and wet flies for steelhead and salmon like crazy lately. I've become surprisingly a lot better at it now. (Of course with some room to get far better...)

Goes to show what practice and persistence does for you...

Enjoy! Tight Lines.

post-22633-1282360148_thumb.jpg

post-22633-1282360162_thumb.jpg

post-22633-1282360177_thumb.jpg

Nice flies by both of you. I agree with Dustin, the flies could use a bit smaller heads and less crowding on the eye. However, I don't think there is any reason to go back as far as Dustin has unless you are fishing with a Riffle Hitch knot at the eye. This knot allows the leader to attach from either side of the eye of the hook and having the head that far back makes it much easier to tie the knot. If your not using the Riffle Hitch you need not go that far back, only just shy of the eye. They look good Taylor just work on decreasing the head size a bit and don't crowd the hook eye. Also, the hackle may be just a bit dense, use just enough to give color, movement and veil the fly but don't distract from the rest of the fly. It looks like the steelhead wet bug has found another host. :D

Good looking flies. Try using a smaller diameter thread. The heads I can see look like it's a 210 dernier (3/0 +). Using 6/0 or even 8/0 will give you the smaller heads. If you know you still have a hackle and wing to apply at that point adjust the end of the body appropriately. Plan the finish of the fly based on where your body ends. A little practice with that point will have those flies right up there.

They look pretty good. I would echo many of the comments above in downsizing the head. Look like like they might catch fish though ;)