Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
muskymags

Body Hackling??

When hackling down the length of a fly how do you strengthen the hackles? I usually get about a half hour's worth of fishing and my long body hackles break and hang off looking dumb and not realistic. On smaller flies I've been using Ostrich herl as a color burst and the herls break real easily. Are the synthetic hackles good and durable? Has anyone tried to glue a stronger wire or something to the hackle shaft to give it strength? Thanks

if its a dry fly, then you counter wrap very fine wire for a rib, and it will hold up better, but after catching 4 or 5 fish something will always happen to the fly.

Hey but they are catching fish!! Sounds like they are chewing on them good! Try counter wrapping with a very fine wire. Sometimes it helps and make sure your hackle ends are tied in good.

But hey there is something very satisfying about fish chewing up your flies!

counter wrapping with wire is a great way to reinforce the hackle for sure. I also found that if you wrap the hackle from front to rear, instead of rear to front, then counter wrap with wire, this seems to also help. Atleast in my experience.

But hey if the fish are tearing them up, that's great too .... means more time at the tying bench :)

Mike

Kwitchybitchin!! yer catchin fish ain'tcha?

perchjerker

and all the Lord's people said: AMEN! Right on, brother.

(BTW, counter wrap with wire or even thread, you'll be OK)

I'll also add - use the body material if you can to protect the stem. Depending on the body material, make sure you wrap the hackle the same direction as you wrap the body material. The stem may sink in between the wraps of the body material and stay a little more hidden from danger. And then counter-wrap with wire.

Deeky

honestly, in 30-some years of fly fishing/tying, I can remember about 4 or 5 hackles which broke or came loose when fishing.... and I almost never counter-ribbed anything. I must have been doing something wrong all these years. Lately, after paying attention to Charlie Craven, I've been tying some stuff with the hackle wrapped backwards from the front and counter-ribbed forward to hold it in place. Pretty good system.