Fly Tying
Taylor B. Hess

What does your Steelhead flybox look like?

What does your fly box look like?  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just thought I'd see how everyone's fly boxes were fairing this year. Remember, won't be long now friends...

Tight Lines!

Here's my collection of steely magnets, I stow them in this larger box then make up a smaller one up the night before or the morning of the outing. Enjoy.

post-22633-1282663291_thumb.jpg

post-22633-1282663317_thumb.jpg

I voted other .... they are somewhat neat , but also half way filled . I'm slowly adding to them each day in preparation for the fall season .

PhonePics1157-1.jpg

PhonePics1159-1.jpg

Mike

I voted other .... they are somewhat neat , but also half way filled . I'm slowly adding to them each day in preparation for the fall season .

PhonePics1157-1.jpg

PhonePics1159-1.jpg

Mike

Great Mike, they look great! I'd say your getting purtty close to being ready. But, you can never have too many flies I say.

gallery4ae608b2e404b.jpg

gallery4ae608a327f84.jpg

I have to admit these look nothing like this anymore though. My egg box looks about the same but the nymph box has been used quite a lot. I've got a handful of steelhead to hand so far this year and when we get some rain we should be able manage multiple fish days.

I'll post a picture of one of my boxes to make everybody feel better about their tying :blink:

post-20675-1283128068_thumb.jpg

I went through a phase years ago of tying classic steelhead flies, so there are some venerable patterns such as the Humboldt Railbird, Doc Spratley, Brad's Brat, Black Gordon, Improved Governor and Umpqua Special in the jumble. I have other boxes loaded with flies, which is definitely overkill considering I have caught a grand total of one steelhead on a fly (for the record, I caught it on a purple egg-sucking leech).

I'll post a picture of one of my boxes to make everybody feel better about their tying :blink:

post-20675-1283128068_thumb.jpg

I went through a phase years ago of tying classic steelhead flies, so there are some venerable patterns such as the Humboldt Railbird, Doc Spratley, Brad's Brat, Black Gordon, Improved Governor and Umpqua Special in the jumble. I have other boxes loaded with flies, which is definitely overkill considering I have caught a grand total of one steelhead on a fly (for the record, I caught it on a purple egg-sucking leech).

And that is probably my favorite fly for steelies. Purple bunny strip leech with a pink bead head...deadly.

boxes.jpg

And the box in the top left is double sided :P i think i actually got enough for this season but that wont stop me for tying more

Hey...there's some of MY flies in there!!!

Thief!

:ripped:

You can never have enough salmon / steelhead flies !!!! :shifty:

boxes.jpg

And the box in the top left is double sided :P i think i actually got enough for this season but that wont stop me for tying more

Still tying too. My vest has two velcro patches(eggs and wolly buggers in the pic) and I have two more empty patches of the same type in my tackle bag I still have to fill. lol So untill we get more rain I'll be at the bench trying new things. I think its time to tie some smaller flies with less rabbit for a change. :lol: