Fly Tying
mmarkey

Number of flies

How many flies do you carry?  

228 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

How many flies do you carry on an average fishing trip, and what is the general breakdown?

I generally carry 5 boxes, 2 with nymphs/ wets, 1 with just weighted flys nymphs/boogers, 1 with Streamers, and 1 with Drys. Problem comes trying to remember which pocket which box is in, before I end up taking them all out. dry.gif wallbash.gif

Mike i moved this post from the reports section to the fly fishing section, i thought you would get more replys in this section cool.gif

BTW i voted over 200.....i would say on average between the 3-4 boxes i carry i probaly have around 350-400 flies on me on any givin trip blink.gif

SD

I try to have only one box on me while fishing, though there are usually several in the car or cabin if I need them. There are certainly less than 100 flies in it. Most of them will be nymphs and other wet patterns, with a few streamers mixed in. I always have a few dries kicking about but they hardly ever get used. If I'm going dry fly fishing I have a separate box for that...

I only carry about 40-50 with me. That's about it. Unless I'm on a long trip. Then I'll have more. But rarely do I use up that many. And when I do, I give up. LOL. But I don't stock up a ton of different patterns. Mostly a variety to match different water levels, and keep it simple.

i'm gonna reply with what i have in all my boxes which there are 7 of so over 200

i never really know what flies i'm gonna need

but lets say i am fishing the local trout pond i carry one box which has about 50 flies in it

i always carry the motherload 400-1,000 on any given trip just incase someone needs flies or i get to swap flies with another tyer.

i have my go to box(Nymphs) but always lug around 3 plano boxs of everything elese.

Brent.

I voted over 200, probably part of my problem.

I often spend more time looking for a fly than I do fishing. dunno.gif

I don't know how to answer this because I fish in the salt and in streams. In saltwater it depends on what species and if I'm wading or in a boat. Wading I'll only have 10 to 20 flies with me, mostly clousers in either chart/white or tan/white. It's too hot down here to carry a lot of stuff. I'd rather be able to carry an extra bottle of water than 2 more boxes of flies.

If i'm in a boat I'll have more but it also depends on the species. I can only have 10 or 12 Tarpon flies in my stretcher case so that's how many I bring. For Snook and redfish from a boat I might have 2 dozen MOL.

For trout, 3 or 4 small fly boxes with 100 flies total.

If I get too organized and take too much, invariably the fish won't bite. If I don't take enough the bite will be full bore. Still trying to figure the middle ground.

Most of my fishing is done in saltwater, and for that I rarely have anything over 25 flies with me, most of them subsurface baitfish imitations. When chasing pickerel, largemouth, and most other warmwater species, I stick to the same approximate number of flies. For trout fishing, I would estimate the number of flies somewhere near 100.

I find that I rarely change flies when fishing in saltwater or warmwater, it's those blasted trout that keep me guessing!!! happy.gif

Trout-200-300

Saltwater-25-50

Bass & panfish-25-50

It's not that I carry that many patterns, I just have several of each pattern. Plus, when I'm trout fishing I often try to imitate the specific stage of an insect. When your are trying to imiatate the nymph, emerger, dun or larva, pupa, and adult of some species, it doesn't take many for the flies to add up.

I didnt get to vote on this one.. but if I did, would have been 50-70 depending where I'm going.. cheers.gif