Fly Tying
BigDaddyHub

Home from Heart Attack

Dude WTF??? I dont come into this forum much but ventured here tonight and was shocked to read. I will give you a call tomorrow. I hope all is well now.

BigDaddy good luck to you. I too had to be rodded out and got a stent installed 4 years ago. Like you I drove my self to the emergency room. All I can say to the other guys out there is give up the smokes and grease and pay attention to the signs. When in doubt see your Doc.

Heres to a speedy recovery.

Sheesh! I miss a few days on the forum and BDH goes and has a heart attack?!?!? Hope you are on the mend buddy and you and yours are in my prayers!Listen to all these folks Chris, you wouldn't want to leave your family, much less all of your scumbags at work ...who'd kick their sorry butts for them?!?!?!?

I sit here, teary eyed, and with humble heart, and sincerely thank all of you for your great well wishes. It happened about 10 am Friday morning. I was digging day lillies and getting ready to landscape around our fire pit area. It was a project I wanted to get done before the afternoon so I could treat Jamie and the kids to an evening at the lake. I had been having chest pains for about a week, but chalked it up to a deep muscle pull from manhandling a non-compliant during a cell extraction. Wishful thinking I suppose. Jamie had the daycare at full steam that morning. I came into the house and calmly told her I was having a heart attack and to meet me at the hospital when she could. I drove the three or so miles to the local ER and told them what was happening...an hour later I was in the Cath Lab with the ol' Rotor rooter cleaning the way for stints. Doctor later told me if I had waited just 20 minutes, I would have been DRT (Dead Right There).

For those of you who have never had this kind of life changing event, let me tell you..it's hell. I lay on that gurney in the ER, feeling my heart literally stop, and all I could think of were my kids. I kept telling the doctor, the brother of one of my fellow officers, that I was dying, and to help me that I had a baby. I have been shot, stabbed, been thrown out of moving vehicles at high speeds, have survived one bout of minor cancer, and charge into cells with killers and crazies on a weekly basis, and NONE of that was a scary as me leaving my wife and children. Here I go with the tears, again. Sorry...but I have already cut back on the smokes (5 today....down from 2 1/2 packs a day) and the grilled tilapia I had for dinner was exquisite.

If you're at risk of heart disease, please, do yourself and your loved ones a HUGE favor and get screened. Your very life may depend on it! If you won't do it for yourself, do it for your kids, your wife, your mother, your brothers, and for me. I have yet to meet most of my forum buddies, but it would mean the world to me if you just did it for me.

Life is beautiful....

Chris,

I got teary-eyed reading this and seeing the photos. My big scare also came last Friday when I had to go for a follow-up CT scan for a spot on my lung. Fortunately the nurse sensed my anxiety and put STAT on my orders so I would not have to wait all weekend with extremely high anxiety. At 6:30 pm she called to let me know that there was no change. Whatever is there is not growing. What I share with you, and others here, is the feeling that I've dodged or I am in the process of dodging a bullet. I wish you all the best in your recovery and your renewed zest for life.

Namaste,

Charlie

How ya feelin today bud?

Physically, I'm fine...just black and blue in the groin from the stints, but mentally I'm in "survival" mode....it's a rare emotionally state that Correction Officers get after a major incident...like a violent assault or a riot.....just a little paranoid...being sedated and not in control of the situation has left me a little "antsy". but I've been through this before...it, too, shall pass....may take a few days...every little pain has me screaming on the inside and I seem to be keenly aware of EVERYTHING around me...it's kinda odd...almost laughable...It's like I'm peering around corners looking for the next clot or occlusion. Hard sometimes to deviate from my training. I have been trained to react to certain life threatening situations in certain ways, but in this situation, there's nothing you can do except what the DR tells you...it's odd.....it's hard to explain....but I bet a few old cops and vets know what I mean.just one of those things....but I ramble.....But I'm good! Gonna be gettin' better everyday!

I can't beleive all the well wishers....Each post warms my heart and soul....GREAT folks on this site...Great floks indeed!

Rock on, my man. Earlier this year that shoulder infection BS had me under the knife 3 times and once laying on a slab as an infectious disease doc told my wife "this is a life-threatening situation"... I was supposed to be drugged and high-fevered out of it at the time but wasn't. All I could think was NO!!! This DOES NOT HAPPEN TO ME. I am the one who is always in control, I'm too safe, too trained, too competent, too prepared, and this ain't right! What hurt more than anything I ever dreamed could hurt, was having my son see me in that condition. "Life-Changing" is not an understatement.

Now I get depressed and feel really bad whenever I get angry or upset about anything, because I know that life is just too short and fragile to get mad about damn near anything. OK, I'm off topic. My point is just HANG IN THERE, there will be tough times ahead, but you are tougher. We are not dealt more than we can handle. If you need help, DO NOT HESITATE TO GET IT.

BDH you are in our prayers for speedy recovery.Do as you told so you can be their for you family and friends. best of wishes to you and pray that all will heal and come out better after all said and done.

Rick tt

Holy Smokes, Dude! Just checking in to wish Jan a happy birthday and saw this!

My mouth is still hanging open...

I wish I'd found out sooner.

I hope you're recovering, buddy.

I'll call you Tuesday or Wednesday night.

Mike

Best of luck to you! You are a great asset to this board - take care of yourself!!

Your wife and kids do need you around.

Get well soon!!!

George

ggmiller

PS - have fun tying flies!!

This is what I get for not reading more of the forum. I don't check out this site very often. I knew tha Chris was recovering from something, but had no idea that it was a Heart Attack.

Chris get better soon. Bob

WOW!

Get well soon Chris.

I quit smoking around 10 years ago.I also had a 2 1/2 pack a day habit.

Best thing I ever did for my health.

Praying for a quick recovery.

Leaky

Dang Dude.. There must have been something in the water this year.. I had Open Heart surgery (triple by-pass) on June 21st..This is now Nov. 13th and i still feel like crap!! So totally know what you are going thru.. Did you go to Cardiac Rehab?? I have and only have 2 more classes to go.. Then i guess it will be back to the gym for me.. I only got my Ok to Fish with Waders this past Thursday..Thought that was funny!! I tried to fish Salmon this year but they hurt me to bad and had to give them up this year..I also quit smoking! The day they gave me my anginogram i threw them away and haven't looked back.. now every time i have a urge i go to the mirror and look at the incision!!

Chris thinking of both you and Will, hope you are both fit and ready to go for the opener next season, crappy weather coming so probably a good time to rest and recuperate.

Steve B