Fly Tying

Pennsylvania

My wife and her family would like to go to gettysburg next year on vacation. She said I could have two of the days to fish. My parents just got back from their and my dad said that some of those trout streams looked fantastic. There was one in lancaster I think that he said was about a foot deep and had basketbll size boulders sticking out all over the river. Anyway, can anyone give me some ideas as to where to fish? They are thinking about gettysburg, hershey and strasburg as possible locations. I would rather go for trout there than smallmouth. Are there some book recommendations?

john

There's a decent shop in Lancaster called the Evening Rise (or Evening Hatch, I can't remember which); you might contact them and ask for some area info. Lancaster is in the middle of a beautiful part of PA, full of farms and trout streams; there will be no shortage of fishable water, I'm sure.

Charles R. Meck has a softback in 3rd edition called Trout Streams and Hatches of Pennsylvania. A must have fishing our PA waters !

Very imformative on Pennsylvania trout waters. Complete with access, special regulations and hatch charts for each stream.

If you know a local they may be able to steer you in the right direction to Tulpehocken Cree, localy known as the Tully. This creek has 3.8 miles of Delayed harvest artifical lures only, public access.

If you time your tip mid to late May, you will see bug activity in most PA waters.

that is about the time I think we are looking at. I will see if GCO has that book. With the offer Will is running it would be a bargain.

john

I do not know how much drive time you want, but Falling Springs should not be that far from Falling Springs. This is a pretty famous limestone stream. It has a delayed harvest section that should hold plenty of fish in May. It also has a heritage section that holds wild rainbows and browns. This section is pretty technical, but in May you might see some Sulphurs and perhaps some caddis. Falling Springs is in Chambersburg

Any of the stocked streams should hold fish that time of year as well.

Andrew

I live fairly close to where you are going to be and I would be happy so show you a stream or two. The Tully (Tulpehocken Creek Outfitters- www.tcoflyfishing.com) is a great place to go if it isn't too far of a drive for you.

The East and West Branch of the Brandywine is a good place to fish. The East branch has a delayed harvest strecth.

White Clay is another spot you might want to check out. It also has a delayed harvest strecth. Not all that familiar with it but my buddy is if you need more info about White Clay.

Start with The Evening Rise for info. for streams close to Gettysburg. I don't head out that way (Lancaster) to go fishing so I am not familiar with the creeks.

May is an awsome time to be out. You will not have a problem finding cooperative fish and bug activity. Just pray we don't get as much rain as the last two years.

Chip