Fly Tying
JimCanuck

So I got to ask ...

Since I never learned to tye flies from someone who made them. Nor have I really read a book about it. I got to ask, that little spring that comes with fly vices what are they for?

I feel very embarrassed for asking this considering I have been fly tying for over 4 years and I still don't know what to use it for. :unsure:

Jim

Guest Big E
Since I never learned to tye flies from someone who made them. Nor have I really read a book about it. I got to ask, that little spring that comes with fly vices what are they for?

I feel very embarrassed for asking this considering I have been fly tying for over 4 years and I still don't know what to use it for. :unsure:

Jim

holds material out of the way

yep, lets say your tying a wooley bugger, after tying in the marabou tail you then tie in a long hackle that gets wound forward to the head, and also a rib that gets wound forward as well, but not yet, you still have to wrap the chenille for the body first.. You place them both in the "spring at the rear and then tie on your chenille and wrap forward to form the body. The spring has been holding your hackle and rib out of your way, now you can wrap them forward and tie them off. hope this helps.

Don't feel silly, I have tied for over 20yrs now and hav yet to really learn how to use it, I know my flies are not of the "show" quality but I believe they are of good quality and plenty good for my uses. I have tried for a few years to get used to it and use it more often but I find my lack of previous use and my habits developed prior to learning what it is used for and how o use it makes it clumsy and awkward.

Steve

Don't feel silly, I have tied for over 20yrs now and hav yet to really learn how to use it, I know my flies are not of the "show" quality but I believe they are of good quality and plenty good for my uses. I have tried for a few years to get used to it and use it more often but I find my lack of previous use and my habits developed prior to learning what it is used for and how o use it makes it clumsy and awkward.

Steve

Use it, don't use it, there are no rules that I am aware of, do what is right for you. I don't use mine either and as a matter of fact have taken it off completely and have never missed it.

Odd, I use mine all the time. Mostly for holding things like tinsel, flashabou, krystal flash, wire ribbing, and similiar materials out of the way until I need them. Yes I could survive without it, but it is there so why not make best use of it? While some favor the minimalist approach, I believe in making best use of the tools available. YMMV.

you will use it if you tie on a rotary vise.

One thing I've found annoying is that with cheap vises, one is usually included... and with expensive vises it's usually sold as an accessory!!